Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whine that gets louder if the clutch is depressed? Recent full clutch job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whine that gets louder if the clutch is depressed? Recent full clutch job.

I replaced all my clutch components about 7k miles ago as part of a manual swap. Everything was fine until about a week ago when I got a power steering type sound. I drained old ps fluid and put in new synthetic atf. That changed nothing. I have been trying to chase down the noise ever since.

I noticed that it was loud inside the car but not when I went to the engine bay. That led me to discover that the sound is louder when I press the clutch in. It is still slightly present when I am off the clutch but the sound at least doubles as I am pressing the clutch in.

Throw out bearing? Transmission? I don't have a clue. All the clutch pieces are brand new. Trans was reseal ed and new fluid

Sounds like it could be the throwout bearing. Or maybe the pilot bearing. Going to have to pull the transmission to find out!

Comment

Would my transmission make a noise like that if it is low on fluid? I just noticed that it is leaking even though I just put new seals in it.

Comment

Why would my throw out bearing go bad in just 7k? I want to keep from having to do this job every 5 months.

Comment

What sort of throw out bearing did you use? Good brand or a cheapy?

It's possible, though unlikely, that your new throw out bearing has seized.

Comment

Originally posted by Daeldalus View Post
            Why would my throw out bearing go bad in just 7k? I want to keep from having to do this job every 5 months.
            Improper installation maybe or just a faulty part. You won't know for sure until you pull it apart.

Comment

Working...
            X