Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the my front tires wearing out on just the insides?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are the my front tires wearing out on just the insides?

The rear tires wear evenly, but the front tires wear out only on the inside of the tires. I need to rotate the tires to wear them evenly. I drive around 75-80 on the highway on my car, '87 325e. Why are just the inners of the front wheels wearing out? tire pressure? camber? bad bushing?
    Last edited by Garageaholic; 03-08-2007, 07:50 AM. Reason: spelling
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

How low is your car? Negative camber is probably the culprit.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

i am an expert in the tire industry. its what i do. the most likely thing is like the other gentleman said negative camber. some keys reasons that this happens is lack of a quality alignment to make sure your camber is in spec. if the car is lowered then that alters your camber angles. it might not be possable to get it back to spec with out a camber kit. let me know how the car is set up or if it is stock and i could tell you more. ALLEN

Comment

Hey, I have all stock suspension. The car could use an alignment, so that could be a culprit, but there is no alignment for camber, just toe in/out. right?
        Recent Rebranding!!
        E30 SM62/S62
        E30 M60 V8
        E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

You have too much toe out on the front.
          Have the car aligned properly, and rotate the tires.
          '91 318is
          sigpic

Comment

I have that same problem on my eta...But I am pretty sure I'm running 2-3 degrees neg camber with K-Mac plates (still don't understand how they work)... I need to take a look at the alignment sheets that the car came with, as it was aligned at a performance shop.
            :: PNW Crew ::
            '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Originally posted by Brew View Post
              You have too much toe out on the front.
              Have the car aligned properly, and rotate the tires.
              bingo

Originally posted by vlad
              Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

Toe eats tires faster than camber angle for angle.

Alignments tend to "wander" over time. Every 6 months at least.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

I would actually do it once a year, but I guess it depends on what kind of driving you do, and how much.
                  Slicktop City!

Comment

Yes, as others said, it's not camber, it's toe. It's actually quite difficult to get the front tires on an E30 to wear with just negative camber, it's almost always a toe issue.

Comment

Great, thanks alot guys. I didn't think that it could wear with just toe.
                      Recent Rebranding!!
                      E30 SM62/S62
                      E30 M60 V8
                      E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

\___/ Toe Out

/___\ Toe In

I___I neither.

Comment

Mnemonic device:
                          Worn on the inside-toed out.
                          Worn on the outside-toed in.
                          Learned it years ago working with stock cars. On solid axles, we corrected the toe after crashes with a torch and a wet rag.
                          Toe will eat up tires a lot faster than camber as previous posters have noted.

Comment

Kind of an old thread, but here are the correct toe alignment specs for the 318iS and other stock suspension settings:

Front settings: Castor 8½º ± ½, Camber -2/3rdsº ± ½, Toe-in 0.028" ± 0.024, Steering axis inclination 13 5/6thsº ± ½

Rear settings: Camber -2º ± ½, Toe-in 0.080" ± 0.031

It is my understanding that when aligning, having the car as close to these numbers as possible will result in less wear on inside of the tires. Sadly, mine are shot in the front. I am running -1.5º of camber with my plates though, but when I aligned it a while back, the technician did not put it to these specs. I told him as close to zero as possible basically...
                            Reminiscing...

Comment

Working...
                            X