318is - Power steering hoses replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

318is - Power steering hoses replacement

I have used a search button but could not find any posts with details I am looking for. If this post needs to be moved to another section please move it. I have a 1991 318is that has a leak coming from either power steering reservoir or one of the hoses. I would like to replace power steering reservoir as well as both hoses. Return hose coming from power steering rack to reservoir seems to be buried deep in engine bay and access is very limited. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendation as how to replace the return hose. On YouTube there are a few videos but all of them are for 6 cylinder engines and access seems to be a lot better.
    Thanks in advance

You can probably undo the 22 banjo on the steering rack with a ratchet and a shallow socket, and a ratcheting box end for the other. I think a crowfoot might work to once you get one of them out. Heres a pic for reference: https://imgur.com/XMZidUS

The motor mount is the only thing in the way really. I am in the middle of refreshing my steering system and I will be getting the chase bays high pressure line to replace my old one. The bmw return hose is pretty cheap and same for the reservoir.

Have your replacement parts ready to go and take your time doing it.

Comment

Just clean the junk off of the bolts, remove the lower, then remove the upper. As far as routing it's really not complex, yes there is stuff in the way, but it's a snap once you disconnect the hoses and remove the reservoir.

Specifically, on an M42 the air box/AFM/intake boot are in the way, so it can be removed to make work easier. All you need to do that is a 10mm flat wrench and a flat blade.

Comment

Finally I was able to find some time to replace the hoses and reservoir. Best access is still from the bottom using open end wrenches (you will need 22 mm and 19 mm). At the steering rack, you will have to undo 19 mm banjo bolt in order to get to 22 mm (this is a return hose going back to reservoir). Make sure to use new washers, you will need 2 per connection, ( 6 total, 4 are the same but for 22mm banjo you will need bigger size, so order correct parts).

Thank you for your suggestions

Comment

Working...
        X