S54 in E34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 in E34

Has anyone swapped in an S54 into an E34? I'm looking for guide or swap information, TIA.

I'm sure it has been done. maybe.. ...search?
    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      I'm sure it has been done. maybe.. ...search?
      I've literally searched everywhere and no luck and I've only seen one guy in Europe that did the swap.

Comment

E34 has an m50, looking into whats needed to replace an m50 with an s54 (early e36s) will give you more info. You gotta look past the usual "follow along" swaps and do some deeper searching.
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

The E34 M50 front sump pan and mount arms should work. The exhaust will probably package ok. Not sure if that oil pump can supply the S54's dual VANOS or if you'd be able to use the S54 pump or if you'd have to really get creative.

Plenum to brake booster interference may or may not be a thing, but the E34 M60 remote mount booster & master cylinder or the E32 hydroboost should fix all that just fine.

The E34 was built with the 420g transmission, so an E34 540i/M6 trans crossmember and driveshaft would probably work.

Beyond that it's just plumbing, wiring and DME.

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
            E34 has an m50, looking into whats needed to replace an m50 with an s54 (early e36s) will give you more info. You gotta look past the usual "follow along" swaps and do some deeper searching.
            I'll look into that, what about the wiring/engine management? Stand alone?

Comment

If the MSS54 can be made to work in an E30, it can be made to work in an E34.

Comment

The mechanics can always be figured out. Also if you need swap coding for free minus the ODB cable: Github XDFs for TunerPro

Comment

The wiring is almost the same as E36. I’ve sold a few harnesses for E34 and E32.
                  Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Working...
                  X