Trans Oil cooler line delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans Oil cooler line delete

Hey guys, quick question. Do you think you need the transmission oil cooler? I swapped my car over to a manual several months ago. But I'm gonna put the automatic back in it because I'm trying to get better gas mileage, easier to drive everyday, and other reasons. The only thing I'm worried about is the transmission oil cooler lines. I threw them away but I'm wondering if I can run the auto without cooler lines. Does it really get that hot?

Easier to drive is one thing, but better MPG out of a 4hp, I don't think so. Maybe you should spend a few bucks improving the nut behind the wheel so it may be better suited to operate the car as is?

In any case you don't need the cooler, but it's not bad to have. Worst case, you can get an aftermarket setup.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      Easier to drive is one thing, but better MPG out of a 4hp, I don't think so. Maybe you should spend a few bucks improving the nut behind the wheel so it may be better suited to operate the car as is?

In any case you don't need the cooler, but it's not bad to have. Worst case, you can get an aftermarket setup.
      I can't tell if you're being malicious or not with that comment. Lol. My driving isn't to blame. Though, I probably am still to blame. It has 400 ft/lb rated clutch in it. It has a 7.5 lb flywheel. And it has 4.10 gears in the rear end. It is in no way an easy car to drive. I built it this way to handle what I was intending to build it for. But since I have lost my daily, I would like to get this one a little more user friendly and better gas mileage. I think I should be able to get 4 or 5 mpg better I think.

But yes, thank you for the comment. I wasn't so sure whether or not I needed cooler lines. I don't think that the auto builds up that much heat do you?

I know that mine came with an engine oil cooler setup but not all E30s did. So I'm curious to see if the same can be said for the trans cooler.

Comment

Surely putting a normal clutch and flywheel in and a more suitable diff ratio would be less effort than swapping to an auto?

As far as i know all autos from any car come with a cooler built into the radiator, or separate. I wouldn't ever put one in without one. Auto works with alot of friction. its not just lubricating gears like a manual. lots of friction in an auto so yes id expect the oil "does get that hot".

Someone will have some lines you can probably have for free, or just get some new ones made for very cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Dillon View Post
          I can't tell if you're being malicious or not with that comment. Lol. My driving isn't to blame. Though, I probably am still to blame. It has 400 ft/lb rated clutch in it. It has a 7.5 lb flywheel. And it has 4.10 gears in the rear end. It is in no way an easy car to drive. I built it this way to handle what I was intending to build it for. But since I have lost my daily, I would like to get this one a little more user friendly and better gas mileage. I think I should be able to get 4 or 5 mpg better I think.

But yes, thank you for the comment. I wasn't so sure whether or not I needed cooler lines. I don't think that the auto builds up that much heat do you?

I know that mine came with an engine oil cooler setup but not all E30s did. So I'm curious to see if the same can be said for the trans cooler.
          I see, from your initial post I inferred that you personally were having some difficulty driving a manual, and that you believed an automatic would give better mileage over a manual in an E30. I see neither of those are correct, but I still think it's silly to swap back to an auto in an E30, however, it's your car.

In my post I should have added that the lack of a cooler is primarily going to shorten the life of the fluid, presuming the air cooling of the case is enough to keep it to 175 or so. So, with moderate driving, more frequent fluid changes (or monitoring), and a careful approach no transmission cooler should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
            Surely putting a normal clutch and flywheel in and a more suitable diff ratio would be less effort than swapping to an auto?

As far as i know all autos from any car come with a cooler built into the radiator, or separate. I wouldn't ever put one in without one. Auto works with alot of friction. its not just lubricating gears like a manual. lots of friction in an auto so yes id expect the oil "does get that hot".

Someone will have some lines you can probably have for free, or just get some new ones made for very cheap.
            I know I can make some lines but finding the right fittings would be the issue. Either way it was more of a curiosity thing more than anything. Swapping trans isn't too bad in our little E30s. Thanks for the input though.
            I think I'll just change out the diff. A good one is just crazy expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
              I see, from your initial post I inferred that you personally were having some difficulty driving a manual, and that you believed an automatic would give better mileage over a manual in an E30. I see neither of those are correct, but I still think it's silly to swap back to an auto in an E30, however, it's your car.

In my post I should have added that the lack of a cooler is primarily going to shorten the life of the fluid, presuming the air cooling of the case is enough to keep it to 175 or so. So, with moderate driving, more frequent fluid changes (or monitoring), and a careful approach no transmission cooler should be fine.
              I figured a lot of people would think it was a dumb idea. lol an e28 with an auto would be perfect. Then I could have my race car and my comfy car!

Comment

I figured a lot of people would think it was a dumb idea. lol an e28 with an auto would be perfect. Then I could have my race car and my comfy car!
                I suggest that you find a nice 518 automatic and report back on the antiquated steering system that they fitted to that model only.

Comment

I know I can make some lines but finding the right fittings would be the issue. Either way it was more of a curiosity thing more than anything. Swapping trans isn't too bad in our little E30s. Thanks for the input though.
                  I think I'll just change out the diff. A good one is just crazy expensive.
                  They are just standard issue hydraulic fittings. Do what you like, but I still wouldn't run an auto without a cooler that was designed to run with one.

Comment

Working...
                  X