Door lock question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door lock question

I just rebuilt the driver door lock on my 318 which was completely trashed. Now I have working lock again but I wanted to check with you guys to make sure it's actually working the way it's suppose to.

My passenger side lock cylinder turns about 45 degrees to both lock and unlock.

My driver side lock on the other hand turns 45 degrees to unlock. But to lock I can go full 90 degrees where first 45 degrees I can feel resistance where lock is actually doing something and the additional 45 degrees feels like a dead zone where I can feel nothing inside moving. This dead zone is what worries me. Should there be something preventing that additional 45 degrees of movement?

Well, when you get past that clockwise 45 deg position, the resistance should let up since the lock should be able to rest at the 90 deg double lock position and the key removed. Is that what you are experiencing? Are the locks otherwise working as expected?
    sigpic
    1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

On the driver's door there is a regular lock at 45 and a deadbolt lock at 90.
      The 45 degree is triggered by a microswitch that always goes bad.
      The 90 locks the doors so that you can only unlock with the key at the driver's door or trunk.

Do yourself a favor and put in a keyless entry tapped to the wires by the lock module. That lock system never worked correctly on the e30 and is a bitch to fix.
      I have had keyless done the right way for 7 years and love it.
      1989 Cirrus Blau coupe Racing Dynamics wheels and a Volvo Spoiler.

Comment

Originally posted by 330SMG View Post
        On the driver's door there is a regular lock at 45 and a deadbolt lock at 90.
        The 45 degree is triggered by a microswitch that always goes bad.
        The 90 locks the doors so that you can only unlock with the key at the driver's door or trunk.

Do yourself a favor and put in a keyless entry tapped to the wires by the lock module. That lock system never worked correctly on the e30 and is a bitch to fix.
        I have had keyless done the right way for 7 years and love it.

Any recommendations for a keyless system? I see there are bunch of write ups online for cheap Ebay ones wired to the trunk solenoid.

Comment

Working...
        X