Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitchblack Motorsports Rally e30 318i (now with M50) - and some Porsche 924S stuff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, so I wrote a super-long update on GRM forums (where I carbon this thread), but due to non-vBulletin software there I can't copy it over with all the photos, and I'm really dont' feel like re-uploading all the photos here.

I usually write the updates on here and copy it over there (which works). But for this one time only, please check out my GRM thread at the following link for the last month updates and I promise I'll do it right next time lol....

1. AHR inaugeral rallycross
    2. Black River Stages
    3. DC rallycross #5
    4. Some car fixes, some car damage
    5. Some trailer and tow rig work..

There are pictures there like these (by Connor Dowling):

and a bunch of others....
    Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
    Track/street e21 build
    visit Condor Speed Shop
    visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

Proper daylight under it. Nice
      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

So it's been a while since updates. A few non-car-related issues kind of put a delay on some of my racing and building activities, but hopefully am back at it again now.

So, let's catch up, if I can remember where I left off. Well, yeah I've been working on paint prep on the 924S. A GRM member was nice enough to offer to shoot the car for (very cheap), so I had to make sure to do at least a "reasonably ok" prep job on it. I don't much care about the car being show-quality at all. In fact I don't mind some paint flaws and such since I plan to drive the car and have fun in it and don't want to worry about paint scratches and dents...ever.

So, that's not much fun to do or talk about, so yeah lots of sanding and blocking and primer and such. In the meantime had to fix a few things....this part of the door had cracked where the window track attaches so would flex every time the window went up or down. So I just tacked it real quick, then smoothed, ground, primed, etc.

Also had to do some fiberglass repair on one corner of the sunroof

ok, that's boring. Let's go back to the e30 for October's rallycross. This was really the last-chance event for me to get back into the points running and have any chance at holding on to my 2-time championship. With 5 events down I still had no wins, with four of my competitors each having a win (and one having two). At very least, the parity in wins and finishes has kept it pretty close. Heck, even Neil Cox, with two event wins, also has a couple really bad finishes. This group is so competitive you can be top dog one day and then finish 7th the next day even if you drive at a similar level.

Another damp morning, with some newcomers - that MR2 belongs to Andy Thomas (on of the fastest FWD rallycrossers in the country) and Mike Golden (one of the top local Stock AWD guys)....who will both be joining us in MR next year. Mike brought the car out for a shakedown. He didn't win or get close, so we'll talk about that car next month or next season. Not now...

As always, MR was one of the biggest classes with a big and competitive turnout of mostly e30s. Nick also got his e36 M3 back running and out to compete. And lots of other interesting stuff.

Yeah, this Bronco ran. And actually wasn't too slow

josh Sennett has an M52 e30, and also lots of green stuff

Anyhow, it's been a few weeks so I'm not positive on details. But the long and the short of it is that we all battled it out all day long, in changing conditions, with water truck visits, and a really good course layout that was a favorite of many people of all our time here at the Rally Farm.

In the end, I finally managed to pull off a win (!!). What does that mean? Well, it feels good to know I don't totally suck these days and can still win here and there. But due to the other finishing order and season drops, it turns out that four of us are within one point of the championship lead going into the last event (which was supposed to be tomorrow the 12th, but has been pushed back a week). So yeah...on the 19th myself, Eric Eisele, Neil Cox, and Stephen Nichols will all be going for broke in the final event, with winner taking the championship.

There is some indication that we will see SHawn Roberts and Bee Thao also running in MR in their very fast PR Miatas, as well as Mike and Andy in the MR2, and Jim Golden in his daily driver S2000 (since he's already clinched the SA points win).

So yeah....

With that said and done, a bit more Porsche stuff.

So I towed it up to PA...

And we did some masking and stuff

In this kinda creepy garage with a cool old Audi out front

Then things got primed

Then things got painted

Then I came back a few days later and towed it home, making sure to use the local landmark to find Don's house, lol. BYOB strip club? hey, why not.

So as expected, the paint looks decent from a distance, but I will have to do a good amount of color sanding, blocking, and buffing to make it look better from closer up. I have all winter for that.

So I've been putting things back together, and it's almost back to being a complete car

Tucked back in the garage as the leaves come down...

And rallycar gets to live outside this winter. Now sitting on the Alpine Arctics...though it will get some garage time soon so I can get the steering rack removed and rebuilt...

Last edited by irish44j; 01-13-2018, 05:02 PM.
        Track/street e21 build
        visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

apoligies for image size. I don't know why the hell they're showing so huge here....need to mess with adjustments.
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Final RallyCross of 2017..........was last week. As noted above, four of us came in within 1 or 2 points of the season points lead, and to make things extra interesting we had a bunch of "newcomers" to the class. And by newcomers, I mean PF class champion Andy Thomas and Mike Golden driving a newly-acquired MR2 (which they'll run next year in MR), plus MA champion Jim Golden in an S2000 (on streeet tires, for fun), plus national podium-sitter Bee Thao in his newly-lifted and boosted Miata, PLUS 4-time local PR (and 2-time MR) champion Shawn Roberts bumping up to MR in his Miata, since he alraedy wrapped up PR championship.

Oh and also a bunch of e30s and stuff.......

As usual, it would turn out that conditions and first runs played a big part. The course was fairly dry, but there were a few VERY slick and muddy sections. Eric Eisele went first as the points leader, and slipped and slided his way around the tough areas. I went next and did the same, but lost several seconds in a very tight and slick area. How tight and slick? The FIVE cars after me all slid outside the gate for an off-course on the first run. Wow. So after one run, basically it was me vs. Eric for the rest of the day - and him starting with a 3-second cushion after onewaffles run.

So, we raced. Both of us were quick and with few errors (and some others in the class, with nothign to lose, were even quicker and started catching up). After seven runs I had only shaved about 1 second off of Eric's lead (if that). Down to the last run, had to push it (also took a rider - a friend of the site owner's, so what the hell...). I pushed, got out of sorts, took out a couple cones, and in the end did not catch Eric (in fact, fell quite a ways back).

So, 2nd place it is. Guess I can't complain after taking the championship in 2015 and 2016. Eric was truly faster than me this year (as was his codriver Neil Cox) at most events. The only reason I stayed in the points race was from consistency.waffles Such is life. Meanwhile, with Golden, Thomas, and Shawn all joining MR next year and all the BMW guys continuing to get faster, it looks like the championship window may have closed for me anyhow. Well, we'll see ;)

So packed up the little trailer for the last time this season (unless we get a local snow event) and headed out....

Once again, much thanks to my sponsors - especially Condor Speed Shop

And huge congrats to the Dirty Industries boys - Eric Eisele taking the championship, and his co-driver Neil Cox tying for 3rd just behind me (with Stephen Nichols)

Also a shout out to other guys in the class who are fast and getting faster but couldn't quite catch us this year....

Josh Sennettwaffles

The other M42 guys

Nick finally with the M3 out playing, if not quite sorted yet

And the rest of our dirty e30 crew

Then off to the car wash, where they made me use the "truckers area" since there was too much mud. Gotta power wash so I can do some work on the car this winter without dirt everywhere in my garage!

Last edited by irish44j; 01-13-2018, 05:00 PM.
            Track/street e21 build
            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

This Thread Is Awesome! Starting Down this Path Now...

First of all a huge thx for documenting this process over several years. I have just picked up my platform to follow similarly down this path to build an e30 rally car. This thread has significantly streamlined my prioritization and task list build.

Phase one of the effort will be some basic maint (discs / pads / stainless lines, ), subframe re-enforcements, AC delete, total bushing refresh, start of interior strip, etc. Think I'll do the Bilsteins too while i've got the suspension torn apart.

A question regarding bushings: did you end up with all solid or a mix of solid and urethane? thinking for a rally car, the urethane might be better for rear subframe and other non drive line locations, with solid for motor, drive shaft, diff? Any guidance / wisdom on that appreciated....

Here's the base vehicle. Got super lucky finding this in in TX **zero** rust. Lovingly maintained, labeled in eng compartment for things like timing belt install dates, etc...

Comment

This Thread is Awesome

First of all a huge thanks for this documentary history. This has saved me an insane amount of time as I prepare to start down a similar path.

I have the base vehicle in hand and phase one will include new bushings pretty much everywhere. Curious as to whether you have ended up with solid everywhere or a mix of solid and urethane. Any guidance/wisdom here would be much appreciated!

Comment

That's one sad looking strip joint. Almost as bad as the strip koing in a single wide mobile home just outside the city limits of Altus Oklahoma. They had a one legged gal that was their star.
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by atxE30 View Post
                    First of all a huge thx for documenting this process over several years. I have just picked up my platform to follow similarly down this path to build an e30 rally car. This thread has significantly streamlined my prioritization and task list build.

Phase one of the effort will be some basic maint (discs / pads / stainless lines, ), subframe re-enforcements, AC delete, total bushing refresh, start of interior strip, etc. Think I'll do the Bilsteins too while i've got the suspension torn apart.

A question regarding bushings: did you end up with all solid or a mix of solid and urethane? thinking for a rally car, the urethane might be better for rear subframe and other non drive line locations, with solid for motor, drive shaft, diff? Any guidance / wisdom on that appreciated....

Here's the base vehicle. Got super lucky finding this in in TX **zero** rust. Lovingly maintained, labeled in eng compartment for things like timing belt install dates, etc...
                    Sorry, I've totally been slacking on updates with the holidays and it being cold as hell here! Anyhow, looks like a great starting point - almost makes me sad that you're gonna rally such a nice e30 lol.

Anyhow, yeah I have quite a mix of bushings for different things. I'll give you a quick rundown and the "why"

- Engine and trans mounts - I currently have a urethane, but that's only because this is an M42 car, and solid mounts on this engine are so much NVH. On an M20 car, I'd go solid for sure, since those engines are much smoother. Get the Condor mounts, you won't be disappointed.

- Rear subframe and diff - I use the condor UHMW in both. I like the response and there is minimal NVH increase, other than a bit of diff whine. Also reduces the chance of tearing rubber or urethane stuff there.

- Trailing arms - I have urethane, and I wish I didn't. They squeak like a mofo when the get dusty/dirty, and I think they also caused my RTAB bolts to loosen a couple years ago. At some point I will either replace them with stock rubber, or more likely I'll do the Condor solid ones.

- Driveshaft I use the stock rubber guibo, as well as in the steering coupler.

- Front lower control arms - I use the OEM offest M3 bushings (rubber). In rally, I want there to be a bit of "give" there to absorb hard hits and not crack anything.

So, I think that covers everything, yes? I would suggest you go to the Condor site (condorspeedshop.com) - they have whole-car UHMW packages that are a good deal and will hold up to the worst beating you can hand out.

Anyhow, good luck with the build and hit me up if you need anything. I'm more frequently in my (identical) build thread on Grassroots Motorsports forum than in here, but I check in occasionally.

Also if you're on facebook, look us up - Pitchblack Motorsports/Rally

PS - take that front air dam off ASAP. you WILL destroy it in rallycross (ask Dan Downey). And it IS worth some money, so sell it to pay for stuff!
                    Last edited by irish44j; 01-12-2018, 09:32 PM.
                    Track/street e21 build
                    visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

So, let's do a bit of updating now that the holidays are over. I didn't do much of anything on any cars over the holidays seeing as I was pretty busy on real life stuff, work, family, and it was seriously cold around here.

But here are some things. First, my birthday present to myself, courtesy of ebay. Some staggered (16x7 front, 16x8 rear) Style 90's off of a 911 for my 924s. These look pretty much perfect on the 924 body, and will allow me to have a better selection of tires than the stock phone dials. I also like that they still give an 80s-ish look, rather than getting something aftermarket.

Pulled the Porsche out to run it around the block

Also the e30, of course

Last edited by irish44j; 01-12-2018, 09:02 PM.
                      Track/street e21 build
                      visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

So now on to some actual e30 stuff. This is mostly outstanding issues that I didn't deal with before. First, fuel gauge. All last year the digital and stock fuel gauges were both on the fritz. Sometimes worked, sometimes not, and rarely accurate. That made for a lot of guessing on fuel load in rally, and meant we always had to fill the tank to know how much fuel we had. Especially bad for rallycross, where I'd rather carry 1/2 a tank than a full tank.

So got one off ebay from a vendor that makes cheap digital gauges. Time will tell how it holds up, but it works great and appears to be decent quality. Unlike my more expensive autometer LCD gauge that died after less than a year, this one also dims with the interior lighting correctily.

It has four "set" calibrations. The ohm range on one of them was pretty close to the e30 stock range (which is apparently an unusual range since no gauges seem to accommodate it except programmable ones). So as you can see, there is a reminder about where empty really is, lol

Oh, also got a Christmas present from the parents....some comms for the tow rig. I like this one because it's almost entirely in the handset and doesn't need an additional amp box.

they got me an antenna too

so, that will be nice to have on long hauls and local at rallies, especially if Jim gets one for whatever utility vehicle he buys (he's shopping).

ok. more e30. Well, spent a good amount of time cleaning up the interior, which was horribly dirty and just pretty disgusting. I also put my spare seat cover on my driver's seat, since the one on there was worn through in about 4 spots. I would be really nice if Sparco would make some covers that have some reinforced fabric over the lower sides of the seats, which get torn up from getting in and out of the car. No pics of that, but it looks like the old cover, except new.

The other outstanding issue from most of 2017 was a bad steering rack leak. Still perfectly functional, but at full lock would literally spray fluid into the wheel well. I initially removed the rack (e36 standard) and was going to rebuild it with new seals. But halfway through that, I thought "hey, why not get something better." So I scoured junkyards online and found a place out in Oregon with a wrecked Z3 with low miles on it. Got them to pull the rack and ship it to me for a reasonable cost. The Z3 rack is pretty much the same overall ratio as the regular e36, but the e36 rack is progressive rate, with slower rate at/near center - giving it a bit of a 'dead spot'. Nice for highway cruising so it's not twitchy - but not as good for racing. The Z3 rack is linear all the way through, so should be quicker in initial response from center. Guess we'll see.

next to the e36 rack. as you can see, the tie rod ends are different.

2 degrees outside so had the propane heater cranked while I installed this. The Porsche gets to sit out in the winter weather for a while

installed, no biggie. I also got a new filter/reservoir and a new steering guibo - but didn't do the guibo at this time since I coudlnt' get the u-joint off the steering column splined section and it's too cold to deal with that at the moment. The old one looks fine, but would like to replace it this summer anyhow.

The inner tie rods that came on it feel tight and good. The outers were tight, but the boots were torn.

Unfortunately, can't use my spares since I converted the e36 rack to e30 tie rods, and they're opposite thread (female-male vs. male-female) on the rod end. Grr.

So, RockAuto to the rescue...

I get fairly cheap ones since they get replaced a lot. Bought full inner and outer so I have some spare inners, plus two spare outers. $50 all told, can't beat that.

Also got some fancy red lugnuts off ebay, since the ones on the car were getting pretty thrashed from 4 years of impact guns. I like the bright colors since they're easy to find in dirt/gravel/snow if dropped during service or changing flats on stage.

So, that's it for the moment. Wellsboro winter rally is in about a month. Trying to put together a schedule for the rest of the year as well, which will hopefully include rally, rallycross, ice racing, and at least one Chumpcar (er...Champcar) enduro race. TBD!
                        Track/street e21 build
                        visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

While Nonack is continuing to use his awesome shop, considerable fabrication skills, and work ethic to make his Merkur rally car the equivalent of an turbo-snorting Abrams Tank (lift on jumps? If he ever did, he won't any more).....well, what I am I donig?

Uh...I did an alignment and drove the rallycar about 40 miles today with the new steering rack. It was totally uneventful. No leaks, no unusual vibrations, nothing interesting at all, other than a sudden 10mph S-curve on a 45-mph road out in the middle of nowhere, that was REALLY a 10mphwafflesS-curve.....which was interesting in an e30 with snow tires and no swaybars...wooooo!

So basically, I did nothing on the rally car.

I did spend a couple hours in the back of the Sequoia doing wiring and installing a Mag-lite mount, while removing the 3rd-rowwafflesseatbelts. Mostly finishing a project I started a while back but got sidetracked from: adding a couple of bright LED lights tied into the reverse lights. I already have the roof-mounted floods (switched), but that's a pain for regular reversing in a dark parking lot or something (plus, I keep covers on them). So a couple down low just for reversing (and helping in late-night trailer hookups, I guess):

Then took the Porsche wheels and tires to get mounted, got that done and brought them home. And of course had to fit them up immediately. These are a staggered set of 911 wheels (16x8 and 16x9), and I'm pleased that everything fits perfectly. Tires are BFG G-Force Comp2 A/S, 205/55/16 front and 225/50/17 rear. I hate to compromise on tires, but I don't want to have mutliple season sets for yet another car, so high-performance all-seasons it is.

paint still looks shitty, but working on it...

My helper wanted to wash the car, so wash it we did...

Fleet
                          Track/street e21 build
                          visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

2018 Wellsboro / Waste Management Winter Rally (WMWR)

This was our third time running WMWR. For those who don't follow, it's the first 2 stages of the big STPR rally, run three times each direction – about 40-50 miles of of mostly tight, technical stages, with a few places to open it up. Usually this rally, being in February in upstate Pennsylvania, is snowy. Four years ago I crewed there and it snowed about 2 feet the weekend of the rally. Last two years, not so much....one year was frigid but no snow on the ground. Last year it got warm and everything melted so it was a water/mud-fest. This year, as luck would have it, there was a very warm (70-degree) day 2 days before the rally that melted everything, and then it got super-cold and re-froze all that melted snow and mud as ice.

Due to conditions there were less entries than normal, but almost all of them were in the R2U class (aka Group 2) for 2WD cars under 2.5L. Most of the Subarus stayed home (only two entered). But who cares. Some of our favorite regulars were there, running in our class, so that's always good to benchmark our performance. The big question was tires, due to the conditions. We brought six snows, four soft gravels, and a pair of Maxsport mud tires. Everyone ran recce, and the course was fairly icy and also fairly rough – so the trade off is less traction with gravels than with snow tires, but way tougher and less chance of tire damage/flat/debead. Whereas snows are pretty wimpy comparatively.

About 2/3 of the competitors showed up to the rally start on snow tires, risking flats, and the other 1/3 on gravels, betting they would have enough grip. To jump to the end, snow tires turned out to be the right choice as the guys on gravels had a lot of grip issues, and oddly enough NOBODY flatted any snow tires (though Alan Edwards did flat a gravel). I'm pretty surprised – even being somewhat careful with the tires (we flattted two snows in 2016 at this event), I was sure a few times we had killed a tire.

Due to the usual start order drama at rallies, I told the registrar “just start us last, I don't even care.” So we started last on the road. Only two other RWD cars entered (both e30s) and one of them had to withdraw due to a mechanical issues. So it was us against Ozgur Simsek (who built my cage), doing his first event in his newly-built M52 e30 (the white shell I found for him). Gus Garrido, who he usually codrives for, swiched seats to the navigator side and had a tough time “keeping it down” so to say, and they didn't finish due to an exhaust leak and a sick navigator. So it was us against all the front-wheel drive cars, including last year's overall runner-up Sean Burke in his CRX and Alan Edwards in the fast Neon. Also a couple VW golfs, some Fiestas, etc. With the conditions, it was going to be tough to hang with the FWD cars I figured.

The course was somewhat shorter than usual due to a couple stage sections being almost impassible, so they added a sixth stage (usually five) to make up the mileage. Also the spectator jump used at STPR for big-air shots was slowed down via a triple chicane with some big hay bales right at the apex (the third bale wasn't visible until you crested the jump), since SCCA rallysprint rules like to keep the wheels on the ground (though I think we all got a little bit of air cocked sideways over it anyhow).

Anyhow, we got going, starting a minute behind a long-time rallyist in the old GTI that he ahs been rallying for 15 years – but he was on gravels. About 3 minutes into the stage we caught them – and spent a minute or so tailing them trying to find a place to pass (they didn't see us there). Eventually we came out of a right-3 onto the main spectator straight / jump / chicane and went for it on his left, with our left wheels off of the course. Luckily he saw us finally and we snuck by up the straight right before the chicane, and finished that stage.

Next stage we moved up a spot in start order so as not to catch the VW again and instead caught one of the Fiestas. Tailed them for a while and then got a bit aggressive on a downhill left-2 and I spun the car a 270, then, backed into a tree trying to turn around (no damage- metal bumpers!). We got going and caught them again near the end of the stage.

Stage 3 was uneventful and we made it into service with no damage, no flats, and sitting near the top of the class due to some mistakes (either in tire choice or in driving) by our competitors.
                            After service we went out managed to spin on an icy uphill which we barely got up after getting the car turned around, and also had a soft off between some trees, which we backed out of quickly. On stage 5 we came around a long corner to find class leader Burke's CRX off the course high-centered on some snow. After a minute of trying to get his tow hook on our lousy front hooks, we yanked him out (hooray for light cars!). As we did that our buddy Brian Battochi slipped by us in his Impreza and we took off after him and Neil Schafer (who crewed for us at Black River, if you recall). Brian was pushing hard, having lost a lot of time in two prior tree-incidents and we pushed hard as well, staying right behind them for the remaining 3-4 miles of the stage, except on some icy uphills.

6th stage was uneventful as everyonoe was being a bit more careful trying to finish.

In the end, Jim wrote an inquiry (he loves inquiries!) and we got a minute back for stopping to help Burke. But it didn't matter either way, as we ended up winning the class by almost 3 minutes over our buddy Alan Edwards in the Neon, who beat us badly last year. We also finished second overall, only behind the (only) turbo Subaru there, Matt Chmliewski.

All in all, a good time. Challenging conditions and the tight stages are perfect for a ralllycrosser like me, if not a bit rough in some areas. The car performed flawlessly, didn't take any damage that I know of (yet), no flats, and we only had a few “oh shit” moments (a couple of which were in the tow rig later that night after it snowed 3” during the awards ceremony! Jim was dead-on with the notes and that meant very few surprises for me driving. Our crew was on the spot all weekend, as usual – Josh Sennet our crew chief + Amanda Pemberton, Mike Seitz, and Stephen Nichols. Thanks again to the event staff, organizers, and volunteers. WMWR is always fun, regardless of snow or ice or mud, and we'll definitely keep coming back!

For those of you on facebook, come check out our page/photo album (my photos and other photos of us) here: https://www.facebook.com/pg/Pitchbla...73762815998833

Also some great photos of a lot of the rally action at Lori Lass's page here: https://photoamma.smugmug.com/Cars/WMWR-2018/n-VHMhJR/

I will post up some of them here once I get a chance to upload, etc. Mike Seitz took a bunch of photos but usually takes a while to upload. Plus we'll have a bunch of video once Jim gets editing done. And most of the photogs on course will post their stuff up eventually which should have some cool shots.

Track/street e21 build
                            visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I love this thread!
                              Paynemw
                              1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
                              the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
                              1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Congrats on the class win, sounds like you had a good time!

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
                                2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X