Subscribed! Keep up the good work. Loving the Lagunitas box ;D

Comment

Originally posted by mattjewell View Post
      Subscribed! Keep up the good work. Loving the Lagunitas box ;D
      Thank you. They make some tasty beer! One of my favorites
      '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
      Shadetree30

Comment

Nice build. What are you using to hold up your motor when you took off the subframe?

Comment

Nice work man! Awesome to see the progress! Keep it up.

1991 LS1 Swapped 318is
          Instagram:
          https://instagram.com/saltybeast/
          LS Build Thread:
          https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...s-e30-ls1-swap

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
            Nice build. What are you using to hold up your motor when you took off the subframe?
            Thanks! I support the motor with one hand and change bushings, swap steering rack, change oil pan gasket with the other hand

And when I get tired (after 2 hours or so) I use an engine support bar ;)

like THIS it's very handy to have, I've used it a bunch of times on both cars. Even if you're just doing the oil pan gasket once, totally worth it

Originally posted by ian e30 318is View Post
            Nice work man! Awesome to see the progress! Keep it up.
            Thank you! I am trying to post a couple of pictures every day until I'm up to date, rather than a 300 picture photo dump :p
            Shadetree30

Comment

Disassembled the oil pump to inspect it and replace the spring and o-ring. It has a very small score on the housing. Decided to use it anyway and if the oil pressure wasn't right, I would replace it (spoiler - oil pressure is fine).

Here you see the scoring on the housing

Parts arrive!!

Ready to start assembling

Crank is in, clearances are all good (verified with plastigauge)

Pistons ready

Making progress

"test fitting" parts to see what it will look like

Tack welded the oil pump nut

Timing cover installed

O-rings installed

It looks good!!

VAC baffle installed

DISASTER STRIKES

one of these little trouble makers decided to snap while I was tightening it. No I was not over torquing, I have a very good torque wrench for the low range torque values (like on that bolt). It never got even slightly tight, just snapped. Seemed like they had been removed and over tightened and weakened before...

It's the one in the center-left. I had to pull the head off and I got VERY lucky. It snapped flush with the timing cover (S**T). I VERY carefully was able to drill the end where it snapped flat. Then starting with a tiny drill bit drilled a tiny hole into it and used a small screw/bolt extractor and got it out. Then bought a set of brand new timing cover bolts, head bolts, head gasket and re o-ringed the block. I would highly suggest anyone rebuilding a motor to just replace those bolts - I don't know why I've never seen anyone mention that before.

Moving on. Recovered from the "fumble" and started installing cam trays and cams.

DONE

Used the n54 exhaust studs. Much easier to install and remove, plus they're a little shorter allowing for some much needed extra space for header install/disassembly

Got up early on a Saturday to attack the M20. Funny coincidence, after I posted a picture, facebook reminded me that on that exact date one year ago, I bought the e30 and took pictures of it in my driveway. It has come a long way since then!! (and spiraled WAY out of control - I don't mind)

More to come
              Shadetree30

Comment

Hell yah! Keep up the good work
                -Alex

Comment

The paint color of the block looks so good. What color is it?
                  '90 325is Schwarz
                  5 lug'd 24V Turbo on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
                    Hell yah! Keep up the good work
                    Thanks!

Originally posted by marek|steezkal View Post
                    The paint color of the block looks so good. What color is it?
                    I think it is a duplicolor engine enamel, metallic grey or something, though it came out looking slightly greenish, I am really happy with it.
                    Shadetree30

Comment

Welding shirtless like a boss.

I like your covered work area, looks a lot more cozy than my garage. Did you use ARPs? Just wondering why you o-ringed the block.

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                        Welding shirtless like a boss.

I like your covered work area, looks a lot more cozy than my garage. Did you use ARPs? Just wondering why you o-ringed the block.
                        Yea the covered garage serves its purpose, but it takes a beating in the strong sun. I've really outgrown it now... I need a legit 2 bay garage.

Didn't use ARPs. I o-ringed it because I had the tool available, the motor out on a stand which makes it very easy, and I'll probably add boost at some point in time. I figured I can sneak the ARPs in there without pulling the head when the time comes.
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Very enjoyable read, I just got my e30 a month ago and am weighing my options of where to start first... Is the 36 steering rack worth the switch? I think my tie rod ends are going anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by SmallDave View Post
                            Very enjoyable read, I just got my e30 a month ago and am weighing my options of where to start first... Is the 36 steering rack worth the switch? I think my tie rod ends are going anyway.
                            Totally worth it. One of the first things I did. Coming from driving the e36 and e46, the steering feel of the e30 was something I hated. After switching to the e36 or e46 rack, it really transformed the steering feel.

I also deleted the steering linkage guibo.
                            Shadetree30

Comment

Where did you find your rack? Did you follow a particular diy thread?
                              Deleting the Guido makes stiffer and more direct right?

Comment

Originally posted by SmallDave View Post
                                Where did you find your rack? Did you follow a particular diy thread?
                                Deleting the Guido makes stiffer and more direct right?
                                The e36 rack I got on ebay. I have since upgraded again to the e46 330 rack (haven't gotten to that in the build yet). I bought it from rackdoctor.

Yes, deleting the guibo gives a more direct feel.
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X