No announcement yet.

Bronzit E30 - OBDII S52 shaved bay - weekend/autox toy - Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheels. I love them, though it's gonna be a bit more work than I initially anticipated to get them to fit.

Rota grid-v 16x9 et0 all around

Here it is with a tire mounted. Tires are pirelli trofeo r's 245/45 that I got for a good deal. Unfortunately as the photos will show this is just too much tire meat to under the e30 with the wheel offsets. Looks aggressive as hell though.

That's like an inch of tire outside the fender. And the tire really doesn't have a friendly profile to help tuck it either. I do have flares, but I think this is just too much. Another issue not helping me is brake caliper clearance. I didn't think ti would be an issue with these wheels, but there is interference between the inner edge of the caliper and spokes. Needs a 10mm spacer in the front and at least 5mm in the rear. Ironically if I had a larger bbk I'd probably be fine since it would push the caliper outwards with a larger rotor where there's more clearance behind the wheels. C'est la vie.

Fitment on the rear is better. This would probably fit fine under a flare. It's the fronts that are hurting me.

This is cool. A bunch of months ago I went for a drive with some friends (Glen and Nairi)up in Angeles crest and we stopped on one of the bends where there's a parkign lot with a lookout. Just so happened there were some other guys there from speedhunters who liked our cars and shot some photos.

Here's the article

Decided to do something about this finally. Glued it and stapled it. Checked it the next day and I'm glad I stapled it because I can see its already trying to shrink back and lift from the trim.

Back to the drawing board for the wheels. I really prefer the 16" size and love the 3" lip and design of these wheels so I'm going to make an effort to fit them. I test fitted one of the wheels without a tire to see what I'm really working with. Looking at it this doesn't look too bad. I think a set of 225/45 r888s should fit nicely with the flares.

The pirellis are for sale!

This is how much the wheel pokes out the front. Not too bad I think

And here's the rear. I don't think I'll have any issue fitting the rear wheel/tire with a flare.

All in all I know the offset of these wheels really isn't friendly to the car but I have them now and I like them. So I'll figure out how to make them work.
    Last edited by Sh3rpak!ng; 09-19-2017, 10:19 AM.
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Comment

So why the 16" wheels and not a 17"? Just personal preference?
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd
      g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Wow wow woooow.
        Sucks it won't work out with the Pirelli's because damn am I in love...

Also was browsing through YouTube videos and saw your car in the background of that TJ Hunt kid's video. It was a track day out at The Streets of Willow.
        Would love to see some in car footage of this thing!

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
          So why the 16" wheels and not a 17"? Just personal preference?
          Yes. I feel like either 15s or 16s look proportionally appropriate on the e30. Big lips and meaty tires are very 80s in my opinion and just fit the style of the car best. Only reason I'd consider 17s would be for a track wheel to get better tire selection, but then again I'd probably drop down to 15s for that purpose.

Originally posted by mr. View Post
          Wow wow woooow.
          Sucks it won't work out with the Pirelli's because damn am I in love...

Also was browsing through YouTube videos and saw your car in the background of that TJ Hunt kid's video. It was a track day out at The Streets of Willow.
          Would love to see some in car footage of this thing!
          I knowww. I've been dying to hit some events on them. Oh well.

Yea that's me. What an irritating session though. He clearly didn't understand that he was holding me up 3/4 of the circuit when I was on his tail for every portion but the straights. I need to get a gopro to get some video footage. i keep spending the extra cash on parts instead :p
          Shadetree30

Comment

1. WHAT, you're back in town?!
            2. I NEED TO TEST FIT THOSE NEW WHEELS. I wanted to pick those up but had no idea if they'd clear my rx7 brakes.

Comment

Yeeeessss!!! The chunky aggressive wheel is very 80s too. I love these wheels. Are you planning on overfenders a la m3 or bolt ons a la KAmotors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by JFarhanbod View Post
                1. WHAT, you're back in town?!
                2. I NEED TO TEST FIT THOSE NEW WHEELS. I wanted to pick those up but had no idea if they'd clear my rx7 brakes.
                Ohhh thought you were asking about the current klutch sl1s... these rotas are even worse for caliper clearance so the rx7 calipers would definitely not fit behind them
                Originally posted by wworm View Post
                Yeeeessss!!! The chunky aggressive wheel is very 80s too. I love these wheels. Are you planning on overfenders a la m3 or bolt ons a la KAmotors?

Thanks! I'm loving them. Can't wait to get it all straightened out. I have a set of kamotors flares in the garage :D I don't really like the overfender look.
                Shadetree30

Comment

Those wheels don't seem like they are worth the effort to make work, especially if you have to go back down to a 225 tire (which can be run EASILY under stock fenders).

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post

Thanks! I'm loving them. Can't wait to get it all straightened out. I have a set of kamotors flares in the garage :D I don't really like the overfender look.

I agree. I don't think overfenders would look right on this. Bolt ons definitely fit the vibe. And also look so rad. Bummer about the caliper clearance though. I've been looking for wheels like these and just got rx7 fronts

1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
                      Those wheels don't seem like they are worth the effort to make work, especially if you have to go back down to a 225 tire (which can be run EASILY under stock fenders).
                      Maybe. But I wouldn't be "going back down" to a smaller tire per se. The pirellis were clearly just too big. I intend to use a 225/45 r888 which runs considerably wider than the 225/45 dz2s I have now. I have a buddy who has the 225/45 r888s on a 16x9 wheel and they actually look pretty square with just a hint of stretch which will be a friendlier sidewall for fender clearance.
                      Shadetree30

Comment

I agree. I don't think overfenders would look right on this. Bolt ons definitely fit the vibe. And also look so rad. Bummer about the caliper clearance though. I've been looking for wheels like these and just got rx7 fronts

You definitely understand my style here haha. The flares will be painted body color, I'll use rivnuts and the same style black allen head bolts I've used elsewhere on the car plus the welting trim strip around the edge. It ought to flow well with the rest of the car's style.

You could probably fit the 16x8 rota grids. The offset is much better. Though, those rx7 calipers stick out quite a bit.
                        Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                          You definitely understand my style here haha. The flares will be painted body color, I'll use rivnuts and the same style black allen head bolts I've used elsewhere on the car plus the welting trim strip around the edge. It ought to flow well with the rest of the car's style.

You could probably fit the 16x8 rota grids. The offset is much better. Though, those rx7 calipers stick out quite a bit.

Excellent. I was trying to envision them black and didn't think it was quite right. As always, making the right calls with this one even down to the smallest details haha.

Yeah I'm definitely planning on flattening the mazda logo and that weird bump but will still probably have to run some kind of spacer.

1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Flares arrived

And found some disturbing test results. Decided to do leakdown and pressure tests since I have a feeling I may have a high rpm coolant pressurization issue. Leakdown %s were good for cylinders 1,2,5,6 but 3 and 4 were bad. I could definitely hear the air escaping past the valves into the intake.

leakdown #s:
                            1=2%
                            2=2%
                            3=25%
                            4=75%
                            5=4%
                            6=2%

So yea. Looks like the head is coming off either way. I'll finish my tests this evening. The compression tester had a leaky seal so ill replace it and compression test tonight. Also want to pressurize each cylinder to see if I get bubbles in the coolant. Lastly I'll let the car cool off and rev it with coolant cap off to see if bubbles come up.

I never rebuilt or serviced this head before I built the engine aside from resurface and hot tank. I'm thinking a 5 angle valve job, new valve stem seals and guides. I'd love to upgrade the valvetrain but I don't think it's in the budget unless someone has a good deal on those items.

If I could only upgrade one part of the valvetrain what would it be? springs, valves (intake or exhaust or both?), retainers? collets?

If I have a bent valve or two should I just replace the one or two that are bad or replace them all, upgrade them all?

Started working on them two at a time :p

Excellent. I was trying to envision them black and didn't think it was quite right. As always, making the right calls with this one even down to the smallest details haha.

Yeah I'm definitely planning on flattening the mazda logo and that weird bump but will still probably have to run some kind of spacer.
                            Thanks man. Be careful grinding that bump, it's a fluid channel. And yea, they do stick out quite a bit.
                            Shadetree30

Comment

I know I've said it before but, gorgeous as always.

This is one of those threads that pushes me to get back into an E30.
                              My previous build (currently E30-less)
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                                I know I've said it before but, gorgeous as always.

This is one of those threads that pushes me to get back into an E30.
                                Thanks!

Okay. Disregard my previous leakdown test #s. I am noob sometimes. Cylinders 3 and 4 were not on the compression stroke

I tested all of them again and got percentages between 2-4% across the board so that's fine. My compression tester was also junk so I bought a new one and got values between 200-210 psi which is also great I think.

So clearly the motor is healthy. I'd still like to pressurize each cylinder with shop air @180 psi to see if I get any bubbles in the coolant indicating a high pressure HG leak.

The reason I'm testing is because my radiator started leaking at the end tanks AGAIN. So either I am just that unlucky or there is excessive pressure in the coolant system somehow. I will also test my expansion tank cap. It's never released pressure and the 30 psi rating doesn't seem like enough to bust a radiator. Also, the engine has never gone over ~210* let alone overheated.

Hoping to sell the pirellis this week and order the r888s. Here's a photo of AKs car with 16x9s et0 and the 225/45 r888s. Looks really meaty and relatively squarish. I run less camber and will need 10mm spacers to clears my brakes so mine will stick out a bit further than the stock fender, hence the need for flares.

Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X