No announcement yet.

Mike's Alpine White 1991 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine does the same thing, only on cold starts, goes away after a few minutes, I suppose after the oil pressure finally engages the sticking tensioner. It's a constant tapping noise which is rev-dependent. Time to get a new tensioner...
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

Comment

The rattle can also be caused by the 6 sump bolts that are common to come loose. If you haven't dropped your lower oil pan to check, I suggest you do that. Use blue loctite on the 6 bolts and re-tighten. Highlighted in blue. Pink is the dip stick.

'91 318i (Alpine) - daily
      '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
        Mine does the same thing, only on cold starts, goes away after a few minutes, I suppose after the oil pressure finally engages the sticking tensioner. It's a constant tapping noise which is rev-dependent. Time to get a new tensioner...
        I hope it fixes mine. Otherwise it might be hydraulic tappets: http://www.esatclear.ie/~bpurcell/31...draulictappets

Originally posted by fresh_TD View Post
        The rattle can also be caused by the 6 sump bolts that are common to come loose. If you haven't dropped your lower oil pan to check, I suggest you do that. Use blue loctite on the 6 bolts and re-tighten. Highlighted in blue. Pink is the dip stick.
        Good call. I torqued mine down last year when I replaced the lower oil pan gasket. Mine were all within spec and there wasn't anything in the bottom of the lower oil pan like plastic guides or bolts. As a side note I did have to helicoil a bunch of the of threads in the upper oil pan. Whoever replaced the lower pan gasket previously stripped 5 of the bolt holes on the upper pan.

Comment

Timing Chain Tensioner Part Deux

The timing tensioner arrived today. It was a quick and easy installation. I believe the tensioner I pulled from the car was the original. It was the original style at least, not the updated M44 version.

Here's the old and new together:

And here's the timing tensioner cap threading back in. Torqued to 40nm:

I installed the tensioner compressed per BMW's recommendation and the recommendation of others on this forum. The new tensioner actually came with instructions stating I should start the engine and rev to 3,500 rpm for *at least* 20 seconds.

When I started the engine I heard the same rattle that lead me to replacing the tensioner. After the revs climbed to 3,500 the rattle went away. After 30 seconds I let the car idle and heard the rattle again. I rev'd to 3,500 again for another 20 seconds and the rattle went away. I took a quick trip up and down the street. Idle is fine and everything it operating normally. The rattle has not returned.

The true test will be when I start the car cold again. Probably when I head out to Katie's Cars and Coffee tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed the rattle is gone on cold start!

Update: No rattles upon starting the car cold the following morning. The issue was resolved with a new tensioner. The engine is quieter and smoother throughout the entire rpm range.
          Last edited by mike.bmw; 02-19-2017, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Depending on how cold it is, you will hear a rattle. For about a second or two. Oil needs to make it up there, remember. I'll see you at C&C. I'll be in my bronzit sedan.

Comment

Depending on how cold it is, you will hear a rattle. For about a second or two. Oil needs to make it up there, remember. I'll see you at C&C. I'll be in my bronzit sedan.
              Yeah, it has been much longer than a few seconds as of this past week. It's a few minutes of rattles until everything warms up. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning.

Looking forward to checking out the bronzit sedan tomorrow (e30?)! This is a different car than the E32?

Comment

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
                Yeah, it has been much longer than a few seconds as of this past week. It's a few minutes of rattles until everything warms up. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning.

Looking forward to checking out the bronzit sedan tomorrow (e30?)! This is a different car than the E32?
                The bronzit e30 is what I drive to work everyday, it's an auto. I have to deal with heavy traffic in the mornings/afternoons for work. I got tired of shifting gears in bumper to bumper traffic.

Comment

What you described is normal. I recall years ago the same instance. It just needed to build tension is all. Now if it continues you have other issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
                  IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

Car looks good Mike!

Comment

Car looks good Mike!
                      Thanks! Great catching up with you this morning. Your e30 sedan is super clean!

Here's an update for the tensioner installation. The car started up this morning with no rattling. The engine was very quiet and very smooth. Success!

Comment

I replaced my car's chain tensioner just this morning. Weather isn't cold enough for the real test but the engine runs noticeably quieter. Definitely worth doing.

Comment

I replaced my car's chain tensioner just this morning. Weather isn't cold enough for the real test but the engine runs noticeably quieter. Definitely worth doing.
                          Was this an easy job? Considering doing this as well.

Great car Mike. This thing gets better with age.
                          world renown Harry Potter expert
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post

Takes 5 mins.

Comment

I'd say so, it's literally one bolt. Even for a noob like me it took 10 minutes. It's probably the only part of the timing assembly that is designed to be easily serviceable.

I installed it uncompressed to avoid unnecessary rattling on start up and had no issues.

Comment

Yeah. I'm quite shocked how much quieter the engine is now, even after the engine has warmed up. My original tensioner really needed to be replaced. If I ever pick up another M42 e30, the timing chain tensioner will be one of the first things I replace. For $75 (or less), it's cheap insurance and only takes a few minutes.

Very easy. Easier than an oil change. I didn't have to move my washer tank per some DIYs that I read. Though I did clean underneath it. :D Based on what I've see you do on your cars, this is laughably easy.

Thanks for the compliment!

Comment

Working...
                                X