Welding the rocker panel joints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding the rocker panel joints

Searched but didn't find any discussion about this. On my four door I want to eliminate the seams on the rocker panels where they join with the quarter panels. I really don't like how they look plus rust likes to develop there. I was thinking about just laying a thick mig weld over it and grinding it smooth but I worry about rust forming underneath it. I also wonder if those seams are there for a reason and it's best just to leave them alone. There's also seams in the door frames that join the roof to the A/B/C pillars that I want to hide. Thoughts?
    My Feedback

you could use old fashioned lead like they did on the fascia of the 2002 to upper fender joint. Or might be an excuse to get some add-on ground effect parts. The problem with a heavy MIG weld is what happens inside where you can't get at it to treat the burned off surface.

Comment

Yep, lead is an option. Also, you could get silicon bronze mig wire (or tig filler rod if you have a TIG machine). It's what was used on the top side of the rocker seam anyway.

After replacing my rocker panel I went back and sprayed in rust inhibitor stuff by Eastwood. It has a hose with a 360 degree spray nozzle that you shove in through a small hole and spray inside. Good preventative measure for anyone who doesn't want their rocker panels to rust out.

This is what I used:

P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

Comment

Working...
      X