Need Differential advice, think i screwed up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Differential advice, think i screwed up

Ok, so last week i was hearing a loud rattle under acceleration and when i checked under the car found that my diff cover was cracked where the diff mount attaches. So i found another medium case diff cover locally and installed it. After installing it my speedometer didn't work anymore and as i've come to find out its because the sensor is broken. This is where the advice is needed.

Today I removed the broken sensor and attempted to install the new sensor only to find that the tabs in the diff that i'm assuming the speed sensor reads were bent over. Now I did have the speedo sensor installed when i installed the diff and it was a tight fit to get the cover on but i didn't use any sort of material to pry against it while sliding it in place and lining it up so this was a surprise to me. When I attempted to see if i could straighten them out without taking the cover off I found that the tabs don't physically have enough space to be straightened out without them hitting the diff cover.

This has me really confused because as far as i can see theres no way the tabs would line up and not hit the cover if they are straight but as far as i knew all medium diff e30 covers are the same. The only other thing i could think of would be if theres a channel on the other side but i wanted to raise the question before i tear into as right now the only issue apart from them being bent is that my speedo doesn't work and i need the car to continue working.

So yeah am I just retarded and royally screwed up what should be a simple install or was i misinformed on the cover compatibility (either way i should have checked closer). Even more so should i be seriously concerned at all with this recent development? I can still easily turn the tires with no resistance, in fact it appears to me like the arms bent almost immediately as all of them are bent over and I didn't have any odd noises or stuck feeling on the test drive or since.

Don't get all hysterical on us now. Got any pics?

Comment

I don't have pics of the car itself yet because the cover is still on (for now). The highlighted fins are what i'm talking about. Essentially instead of being straight out they are bent inward.

Comment

there is nothing on an e30 diff cover other than the speed sensor itself, that would interfere with those fins. Keep in mind there are different speed sensors which may be what caused the fins to bend.
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Sounds good, then I'll be pulling the cover and seeing what I can do to fix it on my day off.

Comment

Working...
          X