Rust in wheel well under the wiper cowls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust in wheel well under the wiper cowls

Hello. So I've been taring my car to pieces and doing some rust repairs and I've seen water leaking in from the front corners on the wheel wells. So I poured some water down the windshield wiper cowls and it all dripped down to the interior, especially on the driver's side. Some of it came out the elephant's trunk too, but I don't think that was enough. I have also been seeing water build up under the heater core area above the transmission. Does anyone have any ideas about what could cause this?
    Last edited by l0gistaja; 11-30-2017, 09:41 AM.

there's a nasty rust hole under the cowls..

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

Yup. That's it.
      I was hoping that wasn't the case but after having removed the dashboard, well.... I guess I won't just have to patch the floor. The driver's side wall has a huge hole in it. I can see the front wheel through it. Now the question is how I can patch that hole. It looks like there's multiple layers of sheet metal down there and I have no idea which one to weld my patch to. My best guess is that I weld it in from the outside to the wheel well. The patch would run up all the way to under the fuse box. But there's a small hole in a piece that seems to be the underside of the cowl and if I put my patch behind it, I'll still get water on the inside. Gonna do some more planning tomorrow. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

///////Turned out that the other "layer of metal" I saw was instead the rubber cover that's under the hood behind the fusebox. I've cut out a patch and it's going in tomorrow. Wish me luck :)
      Last edited by l0gistaja; 12-01-2017, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X