E30 gas tank vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 gas tank vent

E30 gas tank vent conduit, passenger rear side (the one with 3 vent lines)...I removed that metal cover and those lines were freaking disgusting. Looks like OEM used some sort of sealant behind the cover that dried out and mixed with some mud from the rear wheel. Luckily the conduit has only some internal rust that I'm planning to clean/treat/repaint.

What do you guys do with that conduit? What should I reseal it with once all lines are installed? I can see how crap from rear wheel will get under the cover, start collecting in the conduit and collecting moisture. I'm thinking something that doesn't harden or shrinks and stays flexible, unlike seamsealer. Outdoor rated duct seal putty? Any thoughts?

That could be handy as rust is a real problem in that area. However, the lines will eventually need to be replaced, so be sure it will come off of the braided cloth line.

I also don't think the factory put anything behind the cover, but rather the gaps in the covers sealing area allow all sorts of stuff to accumulate.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      That could be handy as rust is a real problem in that area. However, the lines will eventually need to be replaced, so be sure it will come off of the braided cloth line.

I also don't think the factory put anything behind the cover, but rather the gaps in the covers sealing area allow all sorts of stuff to accumulate.
      My e30 is '90 model, all original (even the fuel filter still say. W.Germany :) ). First I thought it was just a compacted dirt there. Further inspection showed those 3 line (braided and 2 pvc) were all encased in some kind of epoxy looking substance. That crap got very brittle with time but some areas were still hard and I had to chip it away (entrance to the conduit). Hmm... my other thought that it is just a crap load of cosmoline that they sprayed behind the cover. Upper spring perch has a run going down to it from behind the cover. I bet you that is exactly what it is.

That duct sealant is like a heavy duty play-doh, never hardens. They use it to seal electrical conduits for outdoor installations etc. Should be no issues removing it if needed.

Comment

I've only taken 2 apart,
        but neither had any sealer that I remember.

It's a balance between keeping stuff out vs letting it escape
        when it gets in...

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
        X