T55 torx Bumper Bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T55 torx Bumper Bolts

Hey everyone, currently I am trying to remove the bumpers on my e30, but the T55 torx bolts located underneath (2 per bumper) the bumpers are stuck. Anyone have and tricks i can use to remove these bolts with out stripping them? Thanks for your time, its appreciated.

You wont strip them. if anything you will break the head off but that is doubtful. they are pretty thick bolts. if anything give them some careful taps with a hammer to shock the rust on the threads. you maybe able to spray some WD40 up there.

The Build:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

You definitely can strip them if you're wailing on them and don't have the bit seated all the way in the bolt.

Use PB blasted or another penetrating oil for freeing them up. WD40 sucks for that

1989 Coupe build thread: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=312012
      IG: @mitchlikesbikes

Comment

It's hard to get penetrating oil up there because the threads are on the the upper part of the bumper bracket, around 4" away from the head of the bolt on the underside of the bumper.

I wonder if it's possible to access the top of the bracket by removing the front bumper trim. I'd probe around to see if you can get some penetrant up there, if things REALLY aren't budging.

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
          It's hard to get penetrating oil up there because the threads are on the the upper part of the bumper bracket, around 4" away from the head of the bolt on the underside of the bumper.

I wonder if it's possible to access the top of the bracket by removing the front bumper trim. I'd probe around to see if you can get some penetrant up there, if things REALLY aren't budging.

That's exactly what i was going to say. i will give that a shot tonight removing plastic trim and trying to get at threads from there. do you know if i can apply some heat? or no due to dumper stop cylinder thing?

Comment

You don't really need to remove them, just unbolt the entire bumper shock, then slide the entire rear bumper off.

Number 12 in the picture: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_0644

On my touring, I could access 3 out of 4 of the bolts underneath the car to remove them, the 4th was inside one of the smugglers compartments. I can't recall if a sedan/coupe is the same, they might be right inside the trunk.

At the very least, that will give you much better access to the Torx bolts.
            Last edited by earthwormjim; 02-15-2018, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Yeah, for the rear bumpers, you can definitely access the studs that are holding the bumper shocks in. That's probably the best way to go about getting the bolts free.

The bolts holding the front bumper in are not as easily accessible.

Originally posted by whysimon
              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by mitchlikesbikes View Post
                You definitely can strip them if you're wailing on them and don't have the bit seated all the way in the bolt.

Use PB blasted or another penetrating oil for freeing them up. WD40 sucks for that
                This. I can't count how many t55 sockets I've sheered off lol
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                  Yeah, for the rear bumpers, you can definitely access the studs that are holding the bumper shocks in. That's probably the best way to go about getting the bolts free.

The bolts holding the front bumper in are not as easily accessible.
                  appreciate all the responses, this weekend ill give it another go. Thanks for the great ideas!

Comment

Just sheered off a t55 tiring to remove the rear bumper

Need to find a quality t55 not the cheap ones..

Any idea of a good one?
                    NASA
                    BMWCCA member
                    PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                    1997 M3 sedan
                    2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

I bought a black one piece impact style, it hasn't broke (yet).
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:

Comment

^^ yea..impact one,where did you find that
                        NASA
                        BMWCCA member
                        PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                        1997 M3 sedan
                        2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Originally posted by e30s50dan View Post
                          ^^ yea..impact one,where did you find that
                          Harbor Freight, actually. I usually purchase more quality hand tools since e30's are my full time job, but was in a pinch, tool truck wasn't close, and they were $30 clams for the set :) Just before that a bumper bolt sheered off three T55's from mine and my helpers sets - on the same bolt!!!
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

Had a lot of trouble with those too.
                            I first broke the handle that my t55 was on.
                            I then moved on to drill the heads off but ended up buying 10 drill bits and they couldn't chew through.
                            I then tried welding something on the bolt heads to get them off that way but ended up breaking the heads off.
                            And then I realised that I could have just taken off the bumper shocks. The nuts on those were also rusty and it took a while to get them off but that was the best way.

And now I need to get the front bumper.....

Comment

Working...
                            X