E30 325i convertiable roof not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 325i convertiable roof not working

HI GUYS I AM LOOKING FOR HELP IN GETTING MY ROOF WORKING , I HAVE A 1991 325 CONVERTIBLE, WHEN I GOT THE CAR THE TOP WAS GONE, I REPLACED THE ROOF AND THE AS BROKEN ARM SINCE THEM I AM UNABLE TO GET THE ROOF WORKING . I AM IN THE NEW YORK AREA AND I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP ,. THANK IN ADVANCE

Welcome to the forum. Just provide us more information. Pull the top section of trunk lining. Disengage the motors from their brackets. Supply 12V to the motors by using rubber covered alligator clips to avoid shorts. You can use trunk light wiring for the voltage source if no other supply available but keep in mind it works only for few minutes. You will need to trigger it back by closing and opening trunk, or just with triggering the switch. See if motors are getting power and rotating. + or - don't matter, it will just affect the CW or CCW rotation of the motors. Just supply 12V. Main motor gets power from red and green wire, lid motor just got a plug on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali View Post
      Welcome to the forum. Just provide us more information. Pull the top section of trunk lining. Disengage the motors from their brackets. Supply 12V to the motors by using rubber covered alligator clips to avoid shorts. You can use trunk light wiring for the voltage source if no other supply available but keep in mind it works only for few minutes. You will need to trigger it back by closing and opening trunk, or just with triggering the switch. See if motors are getting power and rotating. + or - don't matter, it will just affect the CW or CCW rotation of the motors. Just supply 12V. Main motor gets power from red and green wire, lid motor just got a plug on it.
      There is power to call motors

Comment

Is fuse checked? If it is not the fuse problem is probably a micro switch that's slightly out of adjustment. Further possibilities which is unlikely but, top module, top up down switch. Never experienced in E30 but in E36 even a low battery can be cause for top to not operate correctly.

Comment

Everybody I know converts the top to manual operation and throws away all the power crap. That's a really ancient and funky electrical top design that only existed for the last two, low-volume years of e30 vert production. It's weird that they bothered doing that when E30 production was dwindling away to nothing.
          "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Working...
          X