PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by damir View Post
    I don't know how much molly you snorted this morning, but my MBP I bought this June is the best goddamn computer I've ever bought -- I experience zero issues with speed and I use Photoshop for a living.

I also build my own gaming rigs, so I know what it takes.
    I can't comment on yours, but mine takes over six seconds to come up from sleep and as I said before, right now I've got 17 tabs open and about 10-15% memory available. Besides chrome, I've just got a text editor opened.

Maybe I need more molly to ignore how toasty my simple text editor is making it?
    Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
    2013 Zboard San Francisco Special
    2010 Buell XB9SX
    2009 Harley-Davidson 883 Iron - "Xerces"
    1991 BMW 362iS Touring - "Stephanie/The Death Machine 2.0"
    1974 Honda CB360/CL360 Scrambler Project
    1971 Honda Trail 90 - "Stephen Parish"
    2008 Saab 9-3 Convertible
    2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Originally posted by OldDrunkenSailor View Post
      I can't comment on yours, but mine takes over six seconds to come up from sleep and as I said before, right now I've got 17 tabs open and about 10-15% memory available. Besides chrome, I've just got a text editor opened.

Maybe I need more molly to ignore how toasty my simple text editor is making it?
      You can tell how educated someone is when they start a sentence "I don't know how much molly you snorted this morning"

Urban Dictionary: molly Pure form of MDMA (ecstasy)

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
        You can tell how educated someone is when they start a sentence "I don't know how much molly you snorted this morning"
        Educated enough to think that my experience is a fallacy because theirs is different. I don't build gaming rigs though, so I may not "know what it takes." That's probably why my computer is faulty. I just don't know what it takes.
        Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
        2010 Buell XB9SX
        2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

I agree. I mean, it's not like either of you do this for a living or anything.....
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
            ... which you can have in powdered form... But that's not here nor there. The joke obviously went over your head.

The guy flat out said that his MBP is the slowest thing he's ever owned. It's a quite ridiculous and hyperbolic statement, so excuse me for matching your hyperbole with my own.

But hey, what the hell do I know? It's not like I do this for a living or anything either...

Damirs-MacBook-Pro:source damir$ uptime
            13:34 up 33 days, 11:17, 7 users, load averages: 1.23 1.26 1.32
            Damirs-MacBook-Pro:source damir$ gcc -v
            Using built-in specs.
            COLLECT_GCC=gcc
            COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/Users/damir/dev/gcc/dist/bin/../libexec/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin12.3.0/4.8.0/lto-wrapper
            Target: x86_64-apple-darwin12.3.0
            Configured with: /Users/damir/dev/gcc/src/configure --prefix=/Users/damir/gcc/dist
            Thread model: posix
            gcc version 4.8.0 (GCC)

Currently running Sublime Text 2, Chrome with a bajillion tabs, Rdio, Adium, Twitter, Colloquy, Mail, Photoshop, and about six different tabs in Terminal with my local Django and Compass constantly running and querying my files and it takes me less than 2 seconds to come back from sleep. And as shown above, I haven't restarted in over 30 days.

Comment

Originally posted by damir View Post
              ... which you can have in powdered form... But that's not here nor there. The joke obviously went over your head.

The guy flat out said that his MBP is the slowest thing he's ever owned. It's a quite ridiculous and hyperbolic statement, so excuse me for matching your hyperbole with my own.

But hey, what the hell do I know? It's not like I do this for a living or anything either...

Currently running Sublime Text 2, Chrome with a bajillion tabs, Rdio, Adium, Twitter, Colloquy, Mail, Photoshop, and about six different tabs in Terminal with my local Django and Compass constantly running and querying my files and it takes me less than 2 seconds to come back from sleep. And as shown above, I haven't restarted in over 30 days.
              If you do whatever "this" is for a living, I hope that "this" includes reading things like "slowest computer that I've used in the last five years" and not "ever owned." That's a literal, this computer is literally slower than any other machine I've used in the last five years. I'm not doubting your experience, as I also said, this is purely mine. Maybe I have the perfect storm of Gmail and Autoblog tabs that causes your computer to stop in it's tracks, who knows. I'd copy/paste from Terminal to prove that I'm a big-boy user like you, but it actually crashed this morning while I was moving some files about and I'm afraid to open it while I'm doing other big-boy things.
              Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
              2010 Buell XB9SX
              2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

If you do whatever "this" is for a living, I hope that "this" includes reading things like "slowest computer that I've used in the last five years" and not "ever owned." That's a literal, this computer is literally slower than any other machine I've used in the last five years. I'm not doubting your experience, as I also said, this is purely mine. Maybe I have the perfect storm of Gmail and Autoblog tabs that causes your computer to stop in it's tracks, who knows. I'd copy/paste from Terminal to prove that I'm a big-boy user like you, but it actually crashed this morning while I was moving some files about and I'm afraid to open it while I'm doing other big-boy things.
                If we are gonna get hung up over the minutiae of your hyperbole as a way to discredit all of my points, then I think we'll be here all day. So I won't even get into that.

If you had said a 2010 MBP was slow, I would whole-heartedly agree with you. Those things were slow. Conventional harddrives are such bottlenecks on these things. So when I read your comment that your brand new retina MBP is slower than your prior laptop (which I will assume was also a MBP), then I can't take you at face value.

Or maybe your MBP has a bad logicboard or SSD and you should get it replaced.

Comment

Who knows if it's broken, it's a work machine. I try to keep my opinions out of my arguments which is why I stuck to facts of tabs open, memory used, and overall speed. I still don't understand why you keep confusing facts for hyperbole, there is a pretty large distinction.

I have a slow work computer. A 2-month-old, SSD-equipped, Retina Displayed, slow, warm, sharp-edged compter.

Womp womp woooommmp. Don't get hung up about it, I have to use it, you don't.
                  Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                  2010 Buell XB9SX
                  2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

Some people just try too hard to be cool... Not going to point any fingers

Comment

Because it came off as you rather wanting to keep working on a faulty computer so you can throw darts at a company than actually find out what is wrong with it.

My guess is maybe a faulty piece of memory. There's easy ways to diagnose any issues:

It won't hurt ya, and you might actually have a properly functioning setup.

Comment

I keep working on a "faulty" computer because I have to get things done. Hell, I worked on OSX Server at Apple, my only experience on Macs has been hot, slow, and expensive. Again though, solely my experience.
                        Alpha Team Inductee

2014 Icon E-Flyer
                        2010 Buell XB9SX
                        2002 Mazda Miata LS

Comment

any of you guys want to buy a momo hub for 80$?

86 blue 325e 4dr- Totaled :[
                          89 red 535i 4dr- sold
                          87 black 325e 2dr- DD
                          84 black 533i 4dr- project

Comment

I keep working on a "faulty" computer because I have to get things done. Hell, I worked on OSX Server at Apple, my only experience on Macs has been hot, slow, and expensive. Again though, solely my experience.
                            Ya they all have Heat issues, my 4S has been a mini nuclear reactor in my pocket from the start...

And my GF keeps trying to get me to fix her MBA, slow, intuitive software, its a nightmare.
                            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                            willschnitz

Comment

Anyone interested on E30 Harness bar? I'll be selling mine soon.- Speedware made it-
                              Follow my IG @bouchezphotography

Comment

Originally posted by cbouchez View Post
                                Anyone interested on E30 Harness bar? I'll be selling mine soon.- Speedware made it-
                                For coupe? Price?

Comment

Working...
                                X