No more r3vtard assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deleted
    Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 04:30 PM.
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

ok, i have a 3.45 diff out of an e28.

the lsd case has the pn- 4061006234 and also 137940 s 25

what is the lock up on that one?
      seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by der affe View Post
        ok, i have a 3.45 diff out of an e28.

The lsd case has the pn- 4061006234 and also 137940 s 25

what is the lock up on that one?

25%
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
          stock center ramps
          3 clutch disc conversion with oem organic new discs
          3 new 2.1mm porsche steels

track guy/drift guy heavy duty DIY and direct fit to stock capsule.
          so I feel comfortable to take apart the stock setup and replace the discs. I'm not exactly sure what I need to do with the info you just gave me. Am I using 3 of each on each side? or what exactly am I replacing where. (feel free to point me to an existing resource if there is one)
          1997 BMW 328ic 5spd sport Moreagrun Metallic
          1989 BMW 325is 5spd with a M50 swap
          2006 Audi A3 6spd DSG sport with APR stg 2

Comment

No, you use 1 clutch and steel on the ring gear side, and 2 clutches and steels on the opposite side. In order to gain the clearance to add the clutch and steel, you remove the 4mm spacer from the stack.

Originally posted by whysimon
            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

I do need to shim / machine / or anything special or can I just replace parts in the right order? (no noises from my LSD, just not grabbing)
              because I don't want to mess it up, can somebody who knows list the two new stacks with all items in order?
              what's my best source for these parts?

I know, a lot of scared n00b, but I promise to do a build thread if I follow through.
              1997 BMW 328ic 5spd sport Moreagrun Metallic
              1989 BMW 325is 5spd with a M50 swap
              2006 Audi A3 6spd DSG sport with APR stg 2

Comment

deleted
                Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 04:45 PM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

There are quite a few threads on multiple message boards regarding converting to 3 disc 40% lockup configuration; its the most common re-configure of the OEM diff. the OEM differential is setup to allow this as there is a spacer in the bottom of capsule just waiting for you to remove.

3 clutch disc setting will change the side to side loading and have higher locking force on the bottom side as there are 2 disc/steel sets on one side compared to only 1 pair on the other.

I grind proprietary steel thicknesses to custom fit the LSD capsule items wear and like to run non-standard clutch disc thickness (2.4mm) on the ring gear side for this reason, bellville washer can also be changed to have more spring tension if you want to take material off the top cap to fit a thicker 3.5mm spring instead of the standard e30 2.5mm springs.

Personally I prefer a 4 disc unit with minimal pre-load; its got the high lock and lift off lock that you can turn in the car with; also not as imbalanced as the 3 disc setting. its not for everyone though; not as loud as a KAAZ but not quiet either during parking/pit lane maneuvers.

The above listed info is more than enough data to complete the conversion successfully; if its not enough data than perhaps drop it off at your local diff shop to have a professional do the conversion/rebuild for you?

for factory reference I suggest downloading the BMW Factory OEM TIS for e30M differential rebuild and setting; easily found with google search of "e30 tis"

Hey

I'm in to change my LSD 25% diff to 40% or 75% i only use the car on track, it´s a Race Car. E36 318TI
                  My Diff is a 168 mm, but i don't have this 4 mm spacer to take out for extra place for clutch disc, ant my top is the low one, i can get machine max 4 mm of it, but not 8 mm, then it will disappear.

i have machine my angel from 45 degrees to approx 30 degrees, but here is a problem more, then these 2 "kops" will go closer together, ant press on the 2 wheels that go in the spider gears. but i think i mite take 1,5 mm of them each. is the picture with my finger on, the place I`m pointing at is where i will remove 1,5 mm.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 318tiyt View Post
                    hey

i'm in to change my lsd 25% diff to 40% or 75% i only use the car on track, it´s a race car. E36 318ti
                    my diff is a 168 mm, but i don't have this 4 mm spacer to take out for extra place for clutch disc, ant my top is the low one, i can get machine max 4 mm of it, but not 8 mm, then it will disappear.

I have machine my angel from 45 degrees to approx 30 degrees, but here is a problem more, then these 2 "kops" will go closer together, ant press on the 2 wheels that go in the spider gears. But i think i mite take 1,5 mm of them each. Is the picture with my finger on, the place i`m pointing at is where i will remove 1,5 mm.

what???

Comment

its been awhile since i got back to this thread.

id still love to redo my diff. i want it to lock easy as for drifting and be good on the track. i dont mind if its abit noisy when parking ect. i already love getrag rattle and lumpy big cam idle. a good solid diff noise would finish it all off.

and as im not located in the US sending a diff to you would be out of the question. the freight would kill.
                      i want to do it myself. so by the sounds of it i might go with the 3 disc conversion. sounds like its the best bang for buck. and easy to do without having to go down the road of machining/ grinding.
                      i work for bmw as a tech so i have access to all the parts and info. but things like this arent too known about here. so it would be interesting. and would be cool to show the old boys.
                      is it really as simple as out with the spacer, old clutch and steel plates and replace with new items? if so i think ill jump onto this. and i might just weld up an old open diff for some extra fun :P haha

Comment

deleted
                        Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

i do have access to lathes and trusted operators yes. i will get my hands on 188mm lsd. and ill go about modding it. i know the crown wheel and pinion can be changed to suit my final drive needs. so i think ill get any old lsd unit. rebuild it. and then find a non lsd unit to swap the ratios with if i need to.
                          am i right in saying this is doable?

thanks, leigh

Comment

deleted
                            Last edited by Wanganstyle; 09-09-2020, 04:46 PM.

Comment

One Drift setup trick is to use this thicker pre-load springs for more consistent actuation when clutch kicking the shit out of it between pendulum swings.
                              cup springs? IE bellvue washers? Where do you buy those?

Also, what do you do with the center sections that are scored from the abuse of the stock clutches? You can't really get new center pieces and since they are hardened steel, it's hard to machine that surface.

Comment

3 clutch disc setting will change the side to side loading and have higher locking force on the bottom side as there are 2 disc/steel sets on one side compared to only 1 pair on the other.

How does this imbalance affect drivability? Does it change lock-up characteristics on left turns vs right turns? Or accel vs. braking?

Also, what is the % lock-up with this 2/1 setup?
                                Ben
                                Thelma-Louise, the '88is Chump Car - back to M20 power!

2014 ChumpCar Season Schedule!
                                April 5-6 Autobahn, IL - Sat: 1st! Sun: 3rd
                                May23-25 Watkins Glen, NY: 4th, 5th, 4th
                                October 4 PittRace Sprints: 2nd in C-class
                                October 18-19 NCM, Bowling Green KY: 2nd, 1st!
                                Nov 1-2 Watkins Glen - Chumpionship - 1st car to exit the race with significant body damage :(

Find us on FB! Schaut Speed Motorsports

Comment

Working...
                                X