OFFICIAL Land Rover thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this the plan?

do you not allready have a derelict 6'er to tend to??
    Originally posted by flyboyx
    i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
      I was gonna ride on the roof, feet inside the sunroof, with my SKS and a bandanna on my head with a Che Guevara shirt. Too much?
      no sirrrr...jusssssssssst right
      Originally posted by flyboyx
      i have watched my dog lick himself off a few times

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns View Post

is this the plan?

do you not allready have a derelict 6'er to tend to??
        That's a South African Defender.

Land Rover South Africa offered a unique Defender during the period the group was owned by BMW. Between 1997 and 2000, the Defender 90 and 110 were offered with a BMW petrol engine alongside the normal Tdi engine. The engine was the BMW M52 2800 cc, straight-six, 24-valve engine as found in the BMW 328i, 528i, 728i and the Z3. Power and torque output for this engine was 142 kW (190 hp) @ 5500 rpm and 280 N·m (207 lb·ft) @ 3500 rpm. This option was offered due to a demand for a petrol-driven alternative to the diesel engine after production of the V8 Defender had ended. The vehicles were built at Rosslyn outside Pretoria. Total production for the 2.8i was 632 Defender 90s and 410 Defender 110s. Early models were not speed-restricted, but later models were limited to 160 km/h.

My Range Rover already has a M52. Just gotta do a little tweaking and see if I can beat the stock torque # of the old V8 that blew up.
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Bringing this one back from the nearly dead, I'm currently looking at a '97 Disco with what I'm told is a stuck valve. It sounds like a bit of a money pit, but damn if I don't want it badly anyway. It'd be a great replacement for the e30 as my winter vehicle!
          Originally posted by Dozyproductions
          You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Get whichever one has the m60. At least it will be a bmw at heart.
            Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Know one knows how badly I want a series I, II, III Range Rovah, preferebly a County, or a Defender but that's a pipe dream for NAO.

I think I'd gets down in a range rovah or a disco II...however I feel like I'd be afraid to push it too hard w/o breaking something

I'm going to buy a 4x4 within the next year or two, i just don't want to sell my e30 and buy a basket case.
              I want to research it REALLY well, when I have time next summer, before selling the e30.

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
              1983 Peugeot 505 STI
              1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
              2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Homies defender in the back. More in vvvv this thread if u want to fap.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=210020

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

This is all I have to say about Land Rover.
                  Buddy of mine's range rover after the transmission caught fire on the side of the freeway.

Originally posted by blunttech
                  Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Electrical fire?

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                    DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by mrcheezle19 View Post
                      [IMG][/IMG]

This is all I have to say about Land Rover.
                      Buddy of mine's range rover after the transmission caught fire on the side of the freeway.
                      The magic smoke escaped too fast and got it too hot.

Fucking Range Rover, the one vehicle I love to hate and hate to love.

4.0 engine, leaking motherfucker, heads mostly.

4.6 engine, another leaking motherfucker with a twist...... sleeves leaving the scene.

m62 4.4. Ok, it still leaks, just the upper covers but its a knocking bitch and the guy who came up with the chain system needs his ass beaten. Not too mention the cooling system that is likely to explode at any given moment. At least the beast runs a alloy tank radiator.

Of course, its british, that means at any given point, roughly 30% of the vehicle is not working. Now that percentage is likely to increase or decrease and any given moment. Largely dependent on what you ask it to do. The less you ask to work, the less you notice shit that doesn't work.

Comment

We were just cruising along the highway and I smelt a really nasty burning smell (transmission). I told him pull over and that's when smoke started filling the cabin and quick. I looked under the car and could already see flames. We had no water with us sooo down she want giovanna wheels and all. Caused the biggest traffic back-up in history in Colorado the cop said. 27 miles.

Originally posted by blunttech
                        Dude this is r3v. 20 bucks gets you a used timing belt or a low mileage head gasket

Comment

Originally posted by quikveedb2 View Post
                          Bringing this one back from the nearly dead, I'm currently looking at a '97 Disco with what I'm told is a stuck valve. It sounds like a bit of a money pit, but damn if I don't want it badly anyway. It'd be a great replacement for the e30 as my winter vehicle!
                          Do it! Well, get a LR at least... maybe not this one with motor issues.

I was told by soo many people not to get a Disco but I wanted one badly and picked up a 03 DII with 40k miles back in the fall of 2005. It has over 110k on it now and it still runs real strong. I installed a CDL tcase on mine and taking it out in deep snow after a couple bad snowstorms was a such a good time while on vacation up north a couple years ago.

They can be hard on brakes, window regulators are a disposable item every 3 to 4 years with heavy use, DII hubs (integrated hub/wheel bearing/abs) last about 40 to 60k mies before getting quite a bit of run out and the t cases start to leak or need gasket kit around 50 to 75k miles. Front DS is very weak but can be remedied with purchase of a Tom Woods for a couple hundred and then you are good for 100k plus.

If you can DIY they are super easy to work on and most parts you can get from Atl British in a couple days or less.... if you can not DIY, dealer or Indy service bills could lighten your wallet real fast.

I have never worked on a DI but they are even simpler from an electronics perspective. A simple code reader is all I've ever needed on my DII for dealing with evap codes, misfires, secondary air leaks and traction control faults.

Comment

Originally posted by quikveedb2 View Post
                            The disco diesel is natorius for carbon build up on the exhaust valve, that is why it would be stuck it would be simply a matter or removing the head getting it cleaned and checked.
                            sigpic

Comment

The gas motors also have issues with sludge buildup from running cheap oil & for too long of service intervals, from what I've read. Using Rotalla or a comparable diesel oil wth more detergents is supposed to alleviate, and in some cases fix the problem, but generally a head rebuild is the end soultion. The vehicle in question has 130k on the clock, and is in otherwise fair shape aside from some eletrical stuff like what sounds like a bad abs sensor & intemittent oil pressure light. I'd be capable of all the work reqired, minus any machine work, I've rebuilt heads before. The seller is asking $1050, which I'm fairly sure in OBO. Anyone with a bit more knowledge of the vehicles than me care to comment on if it's a worthwhile investement/project?

Here's the CList link for reference;

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3217225372.html
                              Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                              You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Does anyone use these as occasional tow vehicles for a track car with trailer? I already own a jag and know all about brit car problems and have no issues owning one, but would replace the jag with something else that could tow my car to the track.
                                Now look, I am not evil. My loan officer said so.

Comment

Working...
                                X