325ix for RallyCross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325ix for RallyCross

Last weekend, I completed the Primitive Rally School in Santa Rosa, CA and participated in my first rallycross on Sunday.

There was one E46 325XI at the rallycross, but most of the field was Subarus. I daily drive a 1989 E30 325i and was hoping to see a few 325ixs participating in the rallycross.

I am considering going in on a car with two friends who also completed the rally school and rallycross with me. We're considering buying a 325ix and using it for rallycross and other rally events.

Is anyone on the forum using an E30 325ix for rallycross or other types of rally events?

How durable is the AWD system in the 325ix?

Thanks.

PM Kershaw here, he campaigned one for quite some time.

Comment

nice, Paul's class is super fun. I did it last spring, and would have done this one if I had kept up with my email.

there was an iX out there last year. it was carefully driven, but seemed competent enough. amusingly, there was also an M Coupe that was being absolutely hooned.

the main issue with using them is no matter how durable a car is, you're going to break stuff rally crossing. iX parts availability is low.
      cars beep boop

Comment

There was that one older couple who ran one here in the PNW for a few years, and was sold on BAT a while back.

Bid for the chance to own a Rally-Prepped 1988 BMW 325iX 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #3,663.
        1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
        2016 Ford Flex
        2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

The ix is much more durable than people give it credit for, but as Kronus said, parts availability is low and rally is going to break stuff. Also if you want to be competitive I heard its better to compete with a regular e30 in the RWD class, than an ix in the AWD.
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

I ran my 318i at stock height in rallyx when I first got it. I'll tell you that even stock I was afraid of damaging the oil pan with some ruts in the course. The RWD field was quite small (I think 3), and nearly every Subaru owner I met commented on my car being RWD.

If you're interested in having fun without worries, I agree that it might be better to pick something that has a plentiful amount of parts available. If you really don't care and want to just have fun, any car will be a good platform.
            '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
            NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
            Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

The ix will kick ass for sure, but yeah.. $500 control arms and $300 tie rods will take their toll, not to mention CV shafts may as well be made of diamond encrusted, gold plated platinum.

IMO, if you want to race an ix, stick to paved surfaces - unless you have extremely deep pockets.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                The ix will kick ass for sure, but yeah.. $500 control arms and $300 tie rods will take their toll, not to mention CV shafts may as well be made of diamond encrusted, gold plated platinum.

IMO, if you want to race an ix, stick to paved surfaces - unless you have extremely deep pockets.
                Couldn't have said it better myself lol

Comment

Username checks out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                  2016 Ford Flex
                  2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                    nice, Paul's class is super fun. I did it last spring, and would have done this one if I had kept up with my email.

the main issue with using them is no matter how durable a car is, you're going to break stuff rally crossing. iX parts availability is low.
                    @kronus, Paul's class was great fun. Lots of seat time on Saturday. :)

I like the idea of driving an AWD E30, but the limited parts availability is going to make it more expensive than it needs to be. A beater Subaru is probably a better choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X