Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2.7 stroker, want info on 2.5 cutt or custom pistons.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

then why even say youre using the stock 11:1 eta pistons? if theyre getting completely reworked/reshaped, thats not the piston anymore. and what about diameter? its still going to be loose in anything other than brand new bore. i see no reason why someone would try to customize a set of 25yr old 11:1's when you can get custom pistons of any size and shape you want. they will be far lighter and stronger as well. in my opinion, if youre building a high comp. race motor, custom pistons is the only option.

i dunno what your plans are, i dont even remember who the OP was as im typing this. not trying to call anyone out. just puttin in my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon View Post
      then why even say youre using the stock 11:1 eta pistons? if theyre getting completely reworked/reshaped, thats not the piston anymore. and what about diameter? its still going to be loose in anything other than brand new bore. i see no reason why someone would try to customize a set of 25yr old 11:1's when you can get custom pistons of any size and shape you want. they will be far lighter and stronger as well. in my opinion, if youre building a high comp. race motor, custom pistons is the only option.

i dunno what your plans are, i dont even remember who the OP was as im typing this. not trying to call anyone out. just puttin in my 2 cents.

I thought that I said they could be used as a basis for a custom piston. Not use them as is. I don't know of any way to have the pin height changed without having entirely new pistons made. Bore could be whatever you want.
      sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Originally posted by DSP74 View Post
        I thought that I said they could be used as a basis for a custom piston. Not use them as is. I don't know of any way to have the pin height changed without having entirely new pistons made. Bore could be whatever you want.
        i misunderstood, sorry. my point still stands in a way... why is this stupid eta piston even in the picture? just tell whoever youre getting them from what you want. theyll have all the info and have made them before. "11:1 m20 pistons for 2.7 crank and 135mm rods". the 11:1 eta piston is null. just look into who you think makes the best pistons for you.

Comment

Lets see if we can get back on subject of shaving pistons. Sorry luis325

I can't find the seta pistons and customs with this setup are difficult to get pricing for. Had difficulties trying to get correct specs to order pistons.

I have got pricing since the started post. And will be doing a post on the manufactures and specs of their pistons that are a direct fit to the 2.7 crank/ 2.5 rod combo.

A few have brought this configuration up, but i have not noticed much detail on the subject from those that have actually gotten this done.

I have been emailing with 86eta27 of (dtmpower) who has done the shaveing of stock pistons and has had them in his motor for a year now without any issues.

Through those emails and other emails I found http://brcperformance.com/ or call them and speak with Scott; they will shave pistons for like $15.00 ea. They are not the easiest to get a hold of, but after I receive my pistons how many times should I have to call them? Try getting a hold of the Wal-Mart Corporation.

Even though I thought against this at first... I thought that this direction was the only one that is skeptical and not too many have gone this route. Will it work? I have nominated myself to be the Guiney pig. Combined with the fact I wanted to do a budget, I have chosen to go this route.

The custom guys do make what appear to be a great product for a reasonable price, well reasonable for me. Again, the original intent for me was to find a true budget. $700 - $1200 for a set of pistons may not be a "budget" for some.

When I do my write up anyone will be able to get a 2.7 crank/ 2.5 rods and the spec number from each individual company... order the pistons, slap them in and go. The shaving is the only one that will be lingering. So, why not.

If it doesn’t work I will update in the future and go the custom route.

rvaughnp

Comment

iXer on the tech is building a 2.8 using M52 crank, E rods, and shaved M52 pistons....Maybe go check that out.
            sigpic

88 325is

Comment

Thanks

Comment

OK, recieved 2.5 rods and pistons today from co-member "leeroy", thanks go out.
                I will be sending them out to http://brcperformance.com/ in a couple of weeks.
                Because I am a good husband and inform my wife of all that I do... she kindly reminded me that I stated this was to be a "budget" build and as a "budget" build shouldn't it flow through our budget... "Yes dear". My budget for this will be overtime and misc monies found here and there.
                The hundred bucks or so to get these shaved should be had in a week or two. Anyway, as soon as Scott recieves them and figures out if there is enough "meat" to cut to be safe, and then they get back to me, i will post of the shavin pistons.

Oh yeah, Scott will recieve a seventh piston to shave, so that i may cut a pie shape out of it and a stock piston; to post a pic so everyone can tell between the two.

rvaughnp

Comment

Nice work rvaughnp. Excellent thread. It's refreshing to see someone methodically researching and detailing their progress instead of regurgitating internet-found bunk. I'm new here - I've lurked around in the past, gleaning information where I could, but I've signed up to post my thanks to you. I'll be building some sort of e/i combination myself soon, so I look forward to your write-up.
                  Cheers,
                  JY Kelly

Comment

Thanks man, as i have stated on previous posts... this is a "budget" build. When i save overtime and find money in the couch i will buy parts and motor. I do have the extra set of pistons, but now i am waiting to get the motor so i can install the components and see for myself how much is out of the deck.
                    Hopefully in a couple of months i'll save up to get my motor.

Comment

Got 2.7 block. Posted pics of multiple 2.5/2.7 rod piston combos on a 2.7 crank.

Now i am ready to send off pistons to brcperformance. i believe there should be 3 mm shaved, plus a little more for valve cuts to make sure the pistons will clear a 272 cam.
                      I am going to stay in the 9.2 cr.
                      I post when i here something.

Robert P.

Comment

Just got around to sending a single "test" piston to BCRperformance.
                        I have already mentioned to Scott about the thickness issue of having 7ishmm and wanting it cut down to 4ishmm. here is his reply:
                        Robert,

Please tell me the application again.

4.5 mm is .180 thick crown which is on the edge for turbo or nitrous.

Thanks

Scott

The cool thing about it, if it works, would be that it has the same dimensions as the original but less weight and a 2.7 crank connected to a 135mm rod pushing it around.
                        Hope to know more from the shaving in a week or so.

Robert P

Comment

Awesome. Fingers firmly crossed...
                          Thanks for keepin' us in the loop!

Originally posted by rvaughnp View Post
                          Just got around to sending a single "test" piston to BCRperformance.
                          I have already mentioned to Scott about the thickness issue of having 7ishmm and wanting it cut down to 4ishmm. here is his reply:
                          Robert,

Please tell me the application again.

4.5 mm is .180 thick crown which is on the edge for turbo or nitrous.

Thanks

Scott

The cool thing about it, if it works, would be that it has the same dimensions as the original but less weight and a 2.7 crank connected to a 135mm rod pushing it around.
                          Hope to know more from the shaving in a week or so.

Robert P

Comment

This looks promising. Looking to do a temporary stroker build till i feel like shelling out the $774 for the custom pistons. I have everything but the pistons to complete my build.
                            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
                            My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Major setback...
                              BCRPerformance states they can't shave the pistons due to incompatible machinery.:hitler: na, na, na.

Anyone have any leads on a shop that can?

Comment

Try Metric Mechanic?

Comment

Working...
                                X