X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M30 swap?
    My Garage
    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
      Damnit. That makes a lot of sense too... I already have the S52 cams and M50 intake for the M52 as well...
      I still go back and forth, thinking I could have made this car so OEM stock and probably would be worth a bit more in the future, but I already bought the S54 and to be honest I am looking forward to all the extra power.

If I had an M3 I would absolutely keep it stock. If my IS was in mint shape when I bought it I may have kept the M20, but since I needed to go through such an extensive overhaul I figure go all the way and get the power I wanted.

Anyway tough decision, but if you are keeping the car forever I would do the swap.
      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

turbo m20

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
          M30 swap?
          this
          so that theres more m30 swap info/experience on r3v ;D
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
            I've gone back and forth between the two quite a bit. I love the sound the M20 makes, but I really don't understand why they're so hard to get power from. There seems to be no shortage of people getting 300hp from the L series motors that came in my Datsun (not cheap, but not outrageously expensive), whereas it seems like no one, save for a few Aussies, has gotten that kind of power from an M20, despite it being better on paper. I don't really see the point in building an NA M20 for what most people get out of them. But the M20 does seem to do well with boost, which is the current plan for my E30, assuming it doesn't grenade itself again.

As for the M52, well, it seems to be pretty easy to get good power out of it, and it responds even better to boost, but - and I might be in the minority here - it sounds like shit. It might be the worst sounding inline six I've ever heard. The sound the engine makes is a large part of what makes a car enjoyable to me, so that's just not going to work. Also, in terms of weight, I would think an NA M52 would weight about the same as a turbo M20, and in that case the M20 has way more power potential.

Then, of course, there's the timing belt vs timing chain argument.

I agree with it sounding like shit. I'd rather go slow and have a good sound track than to go faster and sounding like crap.

I have a stock m20b25 with a nice exhaust system and it's just a pleasure to turn off the stereo and roll down the windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post

I have a stock m20b25 with a nice exhaust system and it's just a pleasure to turn off the stereo and roll down the windows.
              This.

I have IE long tube race headers with two vibrant resonators (catless) and a vibrant muffler and it sounds fucking glorious. Dont care that im not fast. Puts a smile on my face just hearing that m20.

ok im back on the M20 train again...

form.follows.function IG @mplfoster

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                this
                so that theres more m30 swap info/experience on r3v ;D
                The m30 is such a crap engine :grin:

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
                Stick with the M52 man... it doesn't look like you're building this for Concours d'ENTlegance.
                Fixed tee hee
                ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                ~ '87 535
                ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

I'd rather have an M52 than a high miles M20...just saying. Unless you plan to completely rebuild your existing engine, stick with your M52 plans. Each has their pros and cons, but if you basically have everything to do M52, then I'd do that.

That being said, I have done 24v on basically every other E30 I've decided to keep for a while...I do have a really nice '88 schwarz car that I can't bring myself to do a damn thing to. The M20 looks so nice in that particular engine bay to me. The others? Meh, ain't care.
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

24v is better in almost every way. more power and more efficiency

this is just Lambos tactic of distracting us from the real news ie progress.

Get back to work :hitler:
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

ya kinda dumb trying to talk him out of putting in an m50/s50.

keeps it simple.
                      good on gas.
                      NO POWER.

i was going to talk allot of shit but no. :P

lambo have you gotten a ride an a m50/s52 car?
                      how disappointed where you when it didn't live up to the forum hype?

Comment

So I did the easy thing of buying parts... now I actually have to do real work :drink:

But, this along with a regular parts order I made over Black Friday should be around 90% of the shit I actually need to finish the swap. So.. I guess I have no excuse now.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                        Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

poly
                          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                          willschnitz

Comment

Woooo! Treehouse CABs for header clearance? Or just for RRRRRRIGIDITY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                              poly
                              I already have solid motor mounts on the M20 lol. They're fine. Nerd. Plus I'm not a huge fan of the E28 mount solution.

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                              Woooo! Treehouse CABs for header clearance? Or just for RRRRRRIGIDITY?
                              Mostly for clearance. I remember reading years back that 24v swap exhaust had issues with CAB clearance. No idea if that's actually true or not so I just grabbed these just in case lol.

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf;n6449866
                              Honestly I built it just to have a place to sit and listen to Hotline Bling on repeat.

Comment

give me that selector rod

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                                Ig:ryno_pzk
                                I like the tuna here.
                                Originally posted by lambo
                                Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Working...
                                X