Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues trying to install front Premium Stereo tweeters

Hey Guys,

I searched and thought This would be plug and play, but ran into some issues.

So previous owner said he added front kick-panel PS speakers, so I bought a set of used PS tweeters and thought I could Install as per info I obtained from searching the forums, but no joy.

Not sure what is wrong, but it looks like a previous owner did some wiring work. I’m not sure if that is the issue, but I couldn’t get the tweeters to work no matter how I connected them.

Also, from searching pics of front premium kick-panel speakers, they seem to have a red “capacitor” attached to them, which mine does not have.

I attached some pics so you could see what I am seeing and maybe give me some advice.

Thanks!
    Attached Files
    89 325ix coupe Diamondschwartz
    1994 Mazda Miata

The cap is a high pass filter for the tweeters. The tweeters should still work though provided they are hooked up correctly and aren't damaged. Have you tested them? They are easily damaged when the terminal pulls away from the winding.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      The cap is a high pass filter for the tweeters. The tweeters should still work though provided they are hooked up correctly and aren't damaged. Have you tested them? They are easily damaged when the terminal pulls away from the winding.
      How can I test them? And now that you mention it, one of the terminals did pull out....
      1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Basically you want to break the puzzle down into smaller and smaller pieces, testing each to determine what works and what doesn't. I'd start by verifying the wires in the doors. I used the continuity tester on my voltmeter to test my tweets' wires with no speakers attached. Then I'd turn down the volume super low, take out the mains, and test the tweets on the known-good mains' connectors.

It's all kinda iffy though, even with new components since our cars' wiring is so old and in most cases has passed through multiple DIYers. Hard for me to imagine a car speaker working with any kind of winding or terminal damage; seems like even if you fix it up, the road will just shake it apart again.

Comment

My suggestion? Rip it out and start over.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

So the tweeter tested bad. I bought another known good used one. I wanted to double check with you guys to make sure it’s ok to use it without the capacitor on the kick panel speaker. For some reason these speakers on my car don’t have the capacitor (see pic, pretty sure they are premium speakers), and I don’t want to damage the tweeter.

Thanks!
            1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

You should really use them with a high pass filter aka crossover. You can get them cheap nowadays.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Can anyone send me a link for the appropriate crossover for this application? I’m a audio newbie, don’t want to buy the wrong thing. I’m assuming I can just solder it on to the kick panel speaker?
                1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Crossovers and such. It's not that easy.

I’m a audio newbie, don’t want to buy the wrong thing
                  Then take it to a shop and pay someone.

Or do what most of us do, and start off with some cheap stuff. Love it for about 3-6 months. Then want to upgrade, sell the old stuff, and buy new stuff.

Rinse and repeat. Like on the shampoo bottle says.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

You should really use them with a high pass filter aka crossover. You can get them cheap nowadays.
                    Can you recommend one that will work with the stock PS system? I am not an audiophile, I am just looking to add the tweeters to the system.
                    1994 Mazda Miata

Comment

Working...
                    X