1986 Cosmosblau 325

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 Cosmosblau 325

I guess its time that I start this, So a few days ago I picked up my first E30, I had waited to hope to find a late model but with no luck I was starting to give up until I found something, A 1986 325, I wasn't sure how I felt about it given the fact it was an early model, after a few days of sleeping on it I opted to look at it, the car was in amazing shape and I was sold and after seeing it in person the early model actually didn't Bother me that much. A little back story on my previous car, I was big into the Volvo scene, I had a 1992 Volvo 240 that I used junkyard parts to turbo after small issues constantly popping up and with aftermarket support being limited and the head lifting off the bottom end I decided to part ways with the car and finally get an E30 ( I got the Volvo because I couldn't find an E30 at the time). My plans for the E30 is a daily driver that will still be moded as I have to go to and from college occasionally.

Never the less here's some info,
    • 1986 325
      100,421 miles
      5 speed
      no rust
      LSD
      perfect interior (needs cleaned)
      uncracked dash
      clean paint

heres a picture of it, more to come.

So far I already tucked the front bumper, still, have yo do the rear, I love detailing and I have yet to wash the car, but I am going to start on the inside of it tonight, I'm going to shampoo the carpets and such, my goal for the car is to mod it but not ruin it, i plan to be able to revert what I do if i ever wanted, feel free to drop me any sort of advice or follow the thread! ill try to keep it updated!
    86' E30 Plenty Slow And kinda Ugly

sigpic

100,000 miles is awesome low!

Excellent place to start.

Post up more, larger pictures too.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
      100,000 miles is awesome low!

Excellent place to start.

Post up more, larger pictures too.
      I can never figure out forum pictures either they are to big and you can then scroll side to side or there tiny

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kronus
        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Quick update, front bumper is tucked and I'm working on the rear as we speak, I also painted the tail lights all red,

I'm also getting ready to order suspension, H&R race springs with a E90 drop hats, also a big thanks to ChrisbikeE30 for giving me an I head that I'll eventually be putting on as well... things are coming together on the car nicely and I'm trying to do things right and not chop stuff up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sigpic

Comment

Tucked rear and painted tails!! Ordering suspension bits tomorrow I think!! Woo coming together so well! I'd love to find Someone out here to refill my R12... hope everyone had a good 4th!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaseb124 View Post

Tucked rear and painted tails!! Ordering suspension bits tomorrow I think!! Woo coming together so well! I'd love to find Someone out here to refill my R12... hope everyone had a good 4th!

You have to refill it yourself, Nobody will touch r-12 around here. I doubt it has a leak seeing the condition of the rest ofthe car so you can just refill it yourself; Im guessing you dont want to spend alot on recharging the A/C so I would recommend a product called Freeze-12 Its a direct replacement for r-12. Also if you just painted the tails red without a clear they will go to shit pretty quickly. Looks nice though, Id recommend getting the car on jackstands and checking the suspension before you replace the springs/ drophats just to replace anything else that is nessecary, car felt pretty tight steering wise though.

Also I saw your post on FB on Suspension. H&R Sport springs have rates of 180lb/in front and 380lb/in rear. H&R Race springs are 315lb/in front and 570lb/in rear. If your daliy driving the car then the race suspension will get old pretty quickly. Also please dont get racelands.. Your e30 doesn't deserve that garbage. Your probably better off getting some H&R sport springs and new Bilstein sports with e90 drop hats.

There is a ton of info about good suspension setups to put on your e30. I dont know alot since I have a iX but I am getting my GC coilovers tommorow so you'll get to see how one should handle. If you don't have enough for the springs and struts/shocks and mounts I would just replace everything but the springs because thats a much better investment for a daliy driver..
              Last edited by Chrisbike; 07-05-2017, 12:38 AM.
              Build Thread
              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
              Parts Thread
              https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
                You have to refill it yourself, Nobody will touch r-12 around here. I doubt it has a leak seeing the condition of the rest ofthe car so you can just refill it yourself; Im guessing you dont want to spend alot on recharging the A/C so I would recommend a product called Freeze-12 Its a direct replacement for r-12. Also if you just painted the tails red without a clear they will go to shit pretty quickly. Looks nice though, Id recommend getting the car on jackstands and checking the suspension before you replace the springs/ drophats just to replace anything else that is nessecary, car felt pretty tight steering wise though.

Also I saw your post on FB on Suspension. H&R Sport springs have rates of 180lb/in front and 380lb/in rear. H&R Race springs are 315lb/in front and 570lb/in rear. If your daliy driving the car then the race suspension will get old pretty quickly. Also please dont get racelands.. Your e30 doesn't deserve that garbage. Your probably better off getting some H&R sport springs and new Bilstein sports with e90 drop hats.

There is a ton of info about good suspension setups to put on your e30. I dont know alot since I have a iX but I am getting my GC coilovers tommorow so you'll get to see how one should handle. If you don't have enough for the springs and struts/shocks and mounts I would just replace everything but the springs because thats a much better investment for a daliy driver..

Where could I find freeze-12? Also I hear ya on the no racelands, and I think I'm gonna order the springs, things look pretty good under there especially compared to the Volvo lol, for anyone who needs backstory, He's helped me on my previous car in the past...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chaseb124 View Post
                  Where could I find freeze-12? Also I hear ya on the no racelands, and I think I'm gonna order the springs, things look pretty good under there especially compared to the Volvo lol, for anyone who needs backstory, He's helped me on my previous car in the past...

Yeah you can get it from eBay, 3 cans will fill the system, if your ax system is leaking then I'd suggest converting to r-134a but if it isn't leaking then the r-12 system is colder, so it either needs a recharge or conversion. Also the stuff to keep your dash from cracking is called 303 aerospace.
                  Last edited by Chrisbike; 07-06-2017, 03:15 AM.
                  Build Thread
                  https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
                  Parts Thread
                  https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
                    Yeah you can get it from eBay, 3 cans will fill the system, if your ax system is leaking then I'd suggest converting to r-134a but if it isn't leaking then the r-12 system is colder, so it either needs a recharge or conversion. Also the stuff to keep your dash from cracking is called 303 aerospace.

Someone was telling me to change the oil out of the compressor and then get the R12 to R134a adapter fittings for the low pressure side and refill with 134, they said it doesn't run as cool, but definitely works so that may be the route I go... anyone know a part number for the E90 drop hats that work when trying to go lower?

sigpic

Comment

Update:

Suspension is ordered!! It will be here next Wednesday which works out well because I'm off work so hopefully I can get them put in then, AC has also been retro fitted to R134 so that was a plus, I'm gonna give it it's first mild detail tonight before cars and coffee tomorrow

Also finished up my rear bumper tuck, considering plastidiping the reaming chrome on the bumpers black to see if I like it, I'd also like to do a late model lower front valance and eventually a rear until I can do the Euro bumpers...

sigpic

Comment

Has anyone made cooled comfort seats using say computer fans or something of sorts

sigpic

Comment

1986 Cosmosblau 325

If you just fill 134a the AC will suck unless you get a 134a expansion valve, and parallel flow condenser.

You're better off replacing the dryer, putting in new oil (esther oil) and charging it with r12 or freeze 12, which is a diluted blend of r12.

But make sure there are no leaks by letting it sit with a vacuum for 24 hours, shouldn't lose any vacuum.

Comment

Really wanting Euro bumpers eventually [emoji848]

sigpic

Comment

Cars doing good, suspension comes tomorrow so I'll post up pics

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X