Instrument cluster for a s38 swapped E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument cluster for a s38 swapped E30

Does anyone know if the E30 M3 instrument cluster is an applicable solution for a s38 swapped E30? Looking for suggestions as I noticed by speedo and RPM are reading higher than my normal cluster.
    "Driving anything else would be uncivilised"

Originally posted by ja burna View Post
    Does anyone know if the E30 M3 instrument cluster is an applicable solution for a s38 swapped E30? Looking for suggestions as I noticed by speedo and RPM are reading higher than my normal cluster.
    Yes but you have to use the s38b35 tach coding plug for it to read RPM accurately. The speedo should not be reading higher because of the swap though, the engine doesn't give a reading to the cluster.
    Last edited by fronton; 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM.

Comment

I meant to say that my current instrument cluster I'm using is my e30 325i one.

Comment

I would switch to M3 to get the engine oil temp reading but either way, you'll need the b35 plug.

Comment

cool... I'll see if anyone has an e30 m3 cluster for sale..

thanx

Comment

Ive heard that the M5 plug (from an E28 M5) only calibrates the tach for a 6 cylinder engine with an 8000RPM Tach. The coding plug from a m20b25/ M30 calibrates the tach for a 6cyl engine with 7000 rpm tach. If thats the case shouldnt i be able to get away with using my M20b25 coding plug in my 325is gauge cluster with my s38b36 swap?

The Build:
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
              Ive heard that the M5 plug (from an E28 M5) only calibrates the tach for a 6 cylinder engine with an 8000RPM Tach. The coding plug from a m20b25/ M30 calibrates the tach for a 6cyl engine with 7000 rpm tach. If thats the case shouldnt i be able to get away with using my M20b25 coding plug in my 325is gauge cluster with my s38b36 swap?
              Tom,
              You not only need the E28 M5 Coding Plug, P/N 62111377664 ($40 new from Bavauto), but you will also need to obtain the much harder item, the 8k tach fascia. you don't need the actual tach, but you do need the part that actually shows you the RPM's!

you can always get Part 4 as below (P/N 62131381485) for a nice $390 Brand New :). This is from an 89 M3. I'm thinking of obtaining this for my S62 Swap and getting oil temp in the process.

Recent Rebranding!!
              Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
              E30 SM62/S62
              E30 M60 V8
              E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
              Instagram.com/garageaholic
              Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
                Yes, provided that you are below 7K, a 7K tach should work just fine with the standard 6-cylinder coding plug. If you tach is reading way high, I'd start by confirming that you actually have the right coding plug. 4-banger and eta plugs will mess with your head.
                2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post
                  Tom,
                  You not only need the E28 M5 Coding Plug, P/N 62111377664 ($40 new from Bavauto), but you will also need to obtain the much harder item, the 8k tach fascia. you don't need the actual tach, but you do need the part that actually shows you the RPM's!

you can always get Part 4 as below (P/N 62131381485) for a nice $390 Brand New :). This is from an 89 M3. I'm thinking of obtaining this for my S62 Swap and getting oil temp in the process.
                  I see. All of the items stated above is what I would need if I wanted to accurately have my tach read to 8K using oem equipment.

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                  Yes, provided that you are below 7K, a 7K tach should work just fine with the standard 6-cylinder coding plug. If you tach is reading way high, I'd start by confirming that you actually have the right coding plug. 4-banger and eta plugs will mess with your head.
                  For now I just want to get this thing running and broken in so accurately being able to read to 7K is enough for now. I know i have a 6 cly. B25 coding plug in there now so ill be fine. Later on when I track the engine and want to be able to read to 8k ill think about dropping the money on an M3 tach and the e28 m5 coding plug. Thanks for the advice guys.

The Build:

Comment

I wouldn't take it above 7k until you are confident in the engine anyway. There isn't much left above 7k worth risking anyway.

Comment

^exactly

The Build:

Comment

Working...
                      X