No announcement yet.

Pikes Peak Int. Hill Climb Turbo E30 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several PRO3 cars used the rear defroster from a vert for the front defogger instead of the factory housing and what not. But many of have now gone to the grid style laid on the window (like a rear coupe/sedan window).

The race motor in one of our cars has had sparkles in the oil since day 1 (back in 2011). There was a little starvation on some tracks but it was also caused by some of the left over media in the intake and valve cover when my buddy had those bead blasted by an idiot. I told him never have anything that touches the oil bead blasted. Learned that many years ago...

First race of this season our oil pan got demolished by an errant harmonic balancer from a Honda. So while we had the pan pulled anyways, we changed out the bearings, and they looked like yours. Slapped some new ones in and sent it.

But I’d also invest in an oil accumulator/Accusump, something as a safeguard Incase the pressure drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Excellent write up. I appreciate you sharing this with us.

Comment

2nd, this is awesome!

Comment

Very exciting update. cant wait to see the backstory more!
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

djjerme - That is quite an interesting idea with the hot grid for sure, certainly one I haven't thought of, unfortunately I've already gone full send with this heater box/vent setup so I'll probably stick with it utnless I run into a big complication. I really like having the fresh forced air for hot testing days and figure that setup will do well for both applications for low cost and decently low weight for the combo deal.

Thanks guys! We just took the car to the track and ripped on it all day with almost no problems - main issue was the under tray is slowly starting to fall apart and we might be in for a redo on that part this year.
            Instagram timhardyracing

Pikes Peak Hill Climb Build

Comment

Best of luck this weekend Tim!
              -Dave
              -90 Calypso 325ic (70K Original miles)
              -00 M Coupe - Sadly sold
              -97 328is - Sold
              -90 Sterling 325is - Sold
              -73 Taiga 2002 - Sold

Comment

Well done Tim on the 3rd for your class & 11th outright. To see the e30 clipping at a mclaren 650 & BBI’s GT3 cup car is a feat on its own.

Comment

Thanks mpwrcpe & Anthony B! We had a good time out there, faced some issues but got them solved in time for race day. Once I decompress a bit I will post some updates on this year.
                  Instagram timhardyracing

Comment

I'd love to hear an update on how 2019 went and how you're preparing for 2020 (if you're willing to share). This is a really amazing build and it's great to see an E30 up there competing at the top with the very best in the world.

Comment

Dang, looks like the photo links are down again unfortunately - I’ll see if I can fix or post screenshots at some point.

Here’s a YouTube link going over some of the updates for 2022 + 100th running on Pikes Peak. Engine relocation, DCT swap and some other goodies!

Instagram timhardyracing

Comment

Interesting where you end up with E36M front stuff. Good luck getting the thread up to date! :)

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                        X