No announcement yet.

The m54b30 E30 build (NL)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured out the fuel pump setup and the e30 coolant sensor question, but if somebody knows answers to the other questions, that would be great.

Haven't properly updated in quiet a while. But that's mainly because I was too lazy to update this thread.

lets start with the boring stuff:

I'm probably the only one that is doing this but the center support bearing was under a bit of stress when mounted, so I made 1 out of 2:
    (the mounting slot is a bit longer)

All mounted up, you can see that I needed the extra room:

I saw somebody use the factory airbox, and that's why I stated that I was going to use the factory unit. Unfortunately the m54 air intake valve location is placed lower than the m50/m52. Long story short: Too narrow, no airbox just a plain open air filter, but with a nice pie cut tig welded bend:

Also connected all the fuel lines to the really ugly fuel filter/pressure regulator, (Does somebody know a nice in line fuel regulator 3.5 Bar???)(51psi)

And ofcourse, there was another thing that didn't fit. Made a bracket for the steering reservoir:

Now it's time for the fun stuff: Wiring

I didn't think it was too bad, just researching a lot, removing a lot and trying to keep everything untangled and labled.
    I will spare you all the details, but here is the spaghetti mounted in the car:

A while ago I followed the EWS delete how to, not knowing if it worked. I was really exited to try to start it.
    The first attempt was not very succesfull. The car was all wired up and connected to the battery, I turned to key to ignition and all of the sudden it started to smoke really bad. Turned out that you shouldn't wire the ECU ABS cable to the c101 plug if your car is European and not equipt with ABS. Because you basicly connect a ground and a positive wire together.

After figuring this out it was time for the second attempt.
    This is the first start of the m54b30 in the e30 harness. I was suprised on how easlily it started: VIDEO

Really cool to finally hear the engine, now I'll just need to tidy up all the wiring, and all the other things.
    A car has really a lot of parts
    Last edited by maxpostma; 02-19-2019, 02:07 AM.
    M54B30 E30 build:
    https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=426585

Comment

Nice! Hopefully you didn't fry anything with that little hiccup. Sounds mean!
      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
        Nice! Hopefully you didn't fry anything with that little hiccup. Sounds mean!

Thanks, it's still open headers :)

I checked the fusebox wiring and indeed some wires had to be taped up because the plastic was melted through. Removed the stupid ground wire and everything is fine now
        M54B30 E30 build:

Comment

Originally posted by maxpostma View Post
          I'm currently busy with the wiring harness.
          -is it possible to connect the electric fan signal wire (pin 4 x0004) of the ms43 dme to a pusher fan for the coolant radiator?

-is it necessary to use an e30 coolant sensor for the gauge? Or is it also possible to use the ms43 signal and connect this to c101 pin 4?

I think it's more likely a PWM signal to check if the fan runs?
          Would not recommend to directly wire the fan to the ecu, it would die. You could use it for a relais but im not 100% sure if that's the function of the pin.
          You need the E30 sensor with brown connector. That's the only one that worked out for me. The DME signal wont work.

Comment

Originally posted by sebe20 View Post
            I think it's more likely a PWM signal to check if the fan runs?
            Would not recommend to directly wire the fan to the ecu, it would die. You could use it for a relais but im not 100% sure if that's the function of the pin.
            You need the E30 sensor with brown connector. That's the only one that worked out for me. The DME signal wont work.
            Thanks for the help. Isn't the e30 brown temp sensor for the gauge? Or are you also able to use it for the electric fan?
            M54B30 E30 build:

Comment

Originally posted by maxpostma View Post
              Thanks for the help. Isn't the e30 brown temp sensor for the gauge? Or are you also able to use it for the electric fan?
              The brown sensor is for the gauge.
              If you want your pusher fan to switch on when coolant temp is at 97°C then you need a thermoswitch for desired temperature, a Relais and a 7.5-30A fuse. I put my thermoswitch at the radiator outlet in the elbow piece where the original temp sensor was. Run the wires from the switch to the Relais and let them switch your pusher fan. It's no longer controlled by the ecu but works perfectly fine. If you need a wiring chart I can hook you up.

Gesendet von meinem SNE-LX1 mit Tapatalk

Comment

If you want your pusher fan to switch on when coolant temp is at 97°C then you need a thermoswitch for desired temperature, a Relais and a 7.5-30A fuse. I put my thermoswitch at the radiator outlet in the elbow piece where the original temp sensor was. Run the wires from the switch to the Relais and let them switch your pusher fan. It's no longer controlled by the ecu but works perfectly fine. If you need a wiring chart I can hook you up.

Das stimmt, exactly what I did. Mine comes on automatically or manually if I engage the A/C button.

Comment

Perfect, was already thinking of using a thermoswitch, but the diagram is really helpfull. Danke sehr!
                  M54B30 E30 build:

Comment

Another small update:

Went to the local wreckers and picked up a m52 fuel rail for only 15 euro's (thanks for the tip Sebe20 :))

Looks great and you can delete all the fuel hoses and the huge filter/pressure cilinder and connect the quick connect lines directly to the hardlines, perfect:

Also bolted the Aliexpress terminal to the firewall. Convenient to connect the startermotor, ECU and fusebox.

All the brackets had to go after I didged the idea of using the stock airbox. Germans really make sure that their brackets are mounted securely... :hitler:

After playing with the dremel for a couple of hours:

The remains:

Still need to touch up the paint, but that's something for another time.
                    M54B30 E30 build:

Comment

Another time is now, thought about painting it later on.
                      But realised it's best just to do it now:

M54B30 E30 build:

Comment

what kind of paint did you use? spray can?
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          what kind of paint did you use? spray can?
                          Yes, a spray can with 207 lachssilber. Had some laying around from painting the sideskirts.
                          M54B30 E30 build:

Comment

Looking good! A few small details: Consider installing a shield to prevent the hot radiator air from entering the intake, and grommet the opening the wire goes through to the interior. Have you been able to tidy up the wires into the dme? I am still looking for a good solution besides lots of zip ties.

Comment

Originally posted by cwlo View Post
                              Looking good! A few small details: Consider installing a shield to prevent the hot radiator air from entering the intake, and grommet the opening the wire goes through to the interior. Have you been able to tidy up the wires into the dme? I am still looking for a good solution besides lots of zip ties.

Thanks for the tips, but air filter isn't really behind the radiator, will make a picture of this.
                              The radatior setup is all done including all the water lines. Still have to do the aux fan though.
                              Regarding the Dme wiring, just clean it up with gaffer-tape and zipties. something I will do very soon (hopefully)
                              Last edited by maxpostma; 03-19-2019, 06:00 AM.
                              M54B30 E30 build:

Comment

Oh the wiring,
                                I just went with how it was, just covered it in scotch tape. And stuffed it under the cover. But I don't think that's an option for your clean look

Comment

Working...
                                X