Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbag car auto to manual pedal swap

Hello all -

Does anyone have any advice for adding a set of manual pedals (brake and clutch) to a previously automatic, airbag e30? As you are probably aware, the bracketry for the brake pedal assembly is much different on a airbag car, as the automatic brake pedal bracket continues up the steering column. There are not simply the 4 nuts that attach it to the firewall and the 2 bolts that attach it to the steering column.

Any suggestions on how to complete this pedal swap? I know someone out there has figured this one out....

Thanks!
    - 1991 325i Sterling Silver Coupe
    - 2010 Mitsubishi Evolution X SE

Leave the box and just swap out the pedals and don't worry about using the spring assy on the clutch pedal.
    My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
    4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

airbag cars don't have that big spring anyway. auto and manual pedal boxes on airbag cars are 100% identical. there are some smaller springs that you can attach.

as whodwho says, just swap the pedals over.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Literally all I have to do is swap the auto brake pedal for a clutch and brake pedal?

Are all the mounting points already on the vehicle? (such as #32 in this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=35&fg=05)
        - 1991 325i Sterling Silver Coupe
        - 2010 Mitsubishi Evolution X SE

Comment

yes

think of it this way - all E30s were born as manuals. BMW "converted" them to automatic at the factory. :p
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

think of it this way - all E30s were born as manuals. BMW "perverted" them to automatic at the factory.
            fixed that for ya...

heh

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by JWS45 View Post
              Literally all I have to do is swap the auto brake pedal for a clutch and brake pedal?

Are all the mounting points already on the vehicle? (such as #32 in this diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=35&fg=05)
              Curious about this myself, is it just a clean swap?
              '99 e46 323i - wrecked
              '87 e30 325iS - sold
              '91 e30 325i - sold
              '89 e30 M3 - fun car
              '09 e91 328i - sold
              '97 impreza - rally car - flipped
              '08 impreza - new rally car
              '01 996 tt - more fun car
              '82 Ford f350 - work truck

Comment

It is, if the clutch pedal from the car you get it from has a spring assy like #22 you just don't use it. You should grab the thru bolt and spacers as well, I don't remember if you can use the one from the auto setup.
                My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

the auto thru bolt is too short IIRC
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

sorry for the revival. All is needed for the swap is the clutch pedal itself, the brake pedal, and the thru bolt and spacers.
                    Number 15 and 7 on realOEM, and the bolt # ?

thanks
                    LS1 91 325i - BC Coils, e46 m3 brakes,style 32 17x9, Red Plastidip, H/C/I

Comment

I yanked all the parts off a 90 airbag car to swap into my 89 non-airbag auto and I was looking under my dash tonight and noticed there's nothing for the clutch master to thread into on the auto pedal box. There are just two square holes punched in the bracket. I could run longer bolts through there and use nuts but it looks like the MC would tend to slide around. Is there supposed to be a square nut welded in there or what?

Also, this airbag car does have the big spring so that rule is apparently not universal.

Comment

well, firstly you don't want an airbag pedal box in your non-airbag car. the way the steering column mounts is different, I'd be looking for a non-airbag pedal assembly.

Interesting that non-airbag pedal boxes aren't all the same but that makes more sense. it's a lot easier to change than on an airbag car. on mine, I just bolted the MC right to the stock auto pedal box.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

In that case I'll just have to get creative and make it work ;D

For future reference, I've attached a picture of what my pedal box looks like with those square holes.

What does that big spring supposedly do? It sounds like it works fine without it so now I'm curious why BMW spent the money on such a thing.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Does anyone know if the pedals can be pulled from a non-airbag pedal assembly to put on the airbag pedal assembly?
                            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                              Does anyone know if the pedals can be pulled from a non-airbag pedal assembly to put on the airbag pedal assembly?
                              Yes, it's a direct swap. I put the pedals out of a 86 into my 92.

1992 BMW 325iC
                              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Working...
                              X