M10 or M20 For First Time DIY Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M10 or M20 For First Time DIY Turbo

It' seems that most people prefer the M20 for boost, but the M10 has attracted me due to it's lighter overall weight.

What's the more preferable option? I figure I have about $2000 to spend on the intial turbo build and from there I will spend accordingly. I just wanted to see if there was any advantage/disadvantage to starting on either platform.

I do cruise around the forums, so I know enough. But the plethora of knowledge/experience that all of current DIY-ers have acquired is what I seek. So let's hear some

Originally posted by CasualDays
    But the plethora of knowledge/experience that all of current DIY-ers have acquired is what I seek.
    If your looking for other people to help, there is alot more interest in the m20.

m10's are good motors, but I've only seen a couple, and AFAIK, only 1 turbo m10'er (Good & Tight) actively posts on e30 forums.

IMO if you don't already have a motor, then I'd go m20.

Comment

I don't already have a car, so this is more of just me gathering a bit of real life data. I realize that the m20 can actually gain more power through a turbo, though exclusivity is also pretty fun.

I appreciate the reply and I look forward to even more opinions.

Comment

I would say go with the M20...and if you dont mind a bit of off boost lag..(not much) the m20b27 eta block and "i" block combo can make for a high PSI motor..dude to its low compression 7.9:1...as apposed to i believe 8.5:1 with the m20b25....I will be going with the eta/I hybrid as i already have the eta block and I head...but that is just me....overall the m20 is a solid motor and i would boost that any day over the m10.... good luck and enjoy ur BMW

Comment

Working...
        X