President John Richard Kasich?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

President John Richard Kasich?

With just days to go until the real election of 2016 —the Electoral College — the rogue faction known as the Hamilton Electors is making one last-ditch effort to save America from Donald Trump by denying him the 270 votes he’ll need to be officially named president.

But can the Hamilton Electors convince enough of their fellows in the Electoral College to view Gov. John Kasich of Ohio as our era’s George Washington?

Yes Kasich not Hillary.

Their leaders, who named their group after Federalist Paper No. 68, say it’s still possible that they’ll succeed.

First, though, a word about the rules of the game: In theory, the 306 electors committed to Trump and the 232 electors committed to Hillary Clinton are allowed to disregard the voters of their states, denying any candidate the 270-vote minimum needed to win the presidency, and force the election to be decided by the House of Representatives. This has already happened twice— in 1800, when they averted an Aaron Burr presidency; and 1824, when they stopped Andrew Jackson from becoming president, although in that case only by delaying it for four years.

The Hamilton Electors — they’re led by Democrats — need to convince at least 37 Republican electors to abandon Trump.

......no way...I don't see this happening.
    Last edited by Javier h; 12-10-2016, 03:46 PM.

To many state constutions bind their electorals to the states popular descision, a direct result of the 2 examples you mentioned
    Originally posted by Fusion
    If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
    The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
    William Pitt-

Comment

That sort of stuff just isn't going to fly in the modern world in which we live. Moreover, any president elected by such means today (if they were foolish enough to accept the presidency) would be completely useless from the incredible opposition they would face in Congress and from the people as a whole.

Will there be several defections, perhaps, but electors that do so in many cases face jail time.

The people have voted, the system is working, so we all must embrace the fact that DT will be president for as long as he may serve.

Comment

^

Sore losers are sore, the O-man was elected twice, and there was not this much up roar from the right.... Yes there was some, but not like this. I find it rather distasteful and somewhat embarrassing for the country as a whole that we have many many people in places of influence, calling for protesting and disruption of the inauguration, recounts, lobbying electors to change their votes, etc.. Accept the results and deal with them.
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

The difference being Obama wasn't an unqualified joke of a candidate, I didn't love him either, but he is a hundred times more presidential and dignified. Donald meanwhile refilled the swamp he "emptied" making a fool out of the middle class that voted for him. I accept the results, But what a fucking joke of an election.

Note I don't condone these shitters doing riots recently.
          1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
          willschnitz

Comment

So a community organizing, single term state senator, 1/2 term US senator is a well qualified Candidate . When measured against an accomplished business man, that employ's several thousand people in this country alone, understands a budget (a couple of bankruptcies will teach you a lot about those), and how to manage things with dealings in countries all over the world,and has had to deal with both business and govt leaders in those countries to get to do business with them.

I dont think I would put you in charge of my H/R dept, or give you any type of responsibility if thats how you measure qualified applicants, and give the job to the guy that has no real world experience or track record vs someone that has those things.

Still not saying I like the guy, or that I support all his ideas, just saying hes got way more qualifications in the real world and I do like the fact hes not coming from inside the beltway, and went to politics after becoming successful in his own endeavors (kinda how the founders envisioned it ) not making a life long career out of politics
            Last edited by mrsleeve; 12-11-2016, 07:03 PM.

William Pitt-

Comment

Let's be realistic, by the time a person is elected as 1/100 national representatives in an upper legislative chamber you've interfaced with business/political leaders, balanced a budget (in campaign finance), and employed a large number of people. In fact, I would say that running a campaign is far more like running a business than holding office.

Hopefully, during this process the candidate learns to respect and appreciate the dignity that is supposed to be part of the office.

So, I do not actually think that managing the executive branch is really analogous to managing a corporation as the goals/timescales are seemingly very different. Granted, there are similarities, but I think that the best qualified person will have as broad a set of experiences as possible, especially in working with the average inhabitant of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by Wschnitz View Post
                The difference being Obama wasn't an unqualified joke of a candidate, I didn't love him either, but he is a hundred times more presidential and dignified. Donald meanwhile refilled the swamp he "emptied" making a fool out of the middle class that voted for him.
                sigpic
                1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                  ... the O-man was elected twice, and there was not this much up roar from the right...
                  Except for the 6+ years of all but abandoning their posts, culminating in the refusal to perform their sworn duties and give Garland a vote, you mean?

Comment

Donald meanwhile refilled the swamp he "emptied" making a fool out of the middle class that voted for him.
                    Speaking of, so glad that I didn't. I had a sneaking suspicion it might turn out this way. Still prefer him to Hillary though... just.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
                      Still not saying I like the guy, or that I support all his ideas, just saying hes got way more qualifications in the real world and I do like the fact hes not coming from inside the beltway, and went to politics after becoming successful in his own endeavors (kinda how the founders envisioned it ) not making a life long career out of politics
                      buuuut you still voted for him. and you're still rationalizing voting for someone who has a pretty piss-poor understanding of the constitution.

Comment

The difference being Obama wasn't an unqualified joke of a candidate, I didn't love him either, but he is a hundred times more presidential and dignified. Donald meanwhile refilled the swamp he "emptied" making a fool out of the middle class that voted for him. I accept the results, But what a fucking joke of an election.

Note I don't condone these shitters doing riots recently.
                        beg to differ
                        obama has pretty much been a joke since before he was elected
                        he was at the time probably the least qualified candidate to ever be elected
                        “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                        Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by bmwtool View Post
                          Except for the 6+ years of all but abandoning their posts, culminating in the refusal to perform their sworn duties and give Garland a vote, you mean?
                          there is no sworn duty to give him a vote
                          “There is nothing government can give you that it hasn’t taken from you in the first place”
                          Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
                            there is no sworn duty to give him a vote
                            I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.

Comment

Originally posted by gwb72tii View Post
                              beg to differ
                              obama has pretty much been a joke since before he was elected
                              he was at the time probably the least qualified candidate to ever be elected
                              Barrack was quite possibly the best President I'll see in my lifetime. He was in no way the least qualified. That is a work of fiction that FOX News, the ALT right, and tea-party zealots have been feeding you the past 8 years.

For one, he's highly educated, having attended Occidental College, Columbia University, and Harvard Law School where he also served as President of the Harvard Law Review paper.

He also worked as a senior lecturer at University of Chicago Law School and as a community organizer.

His official political career began in 1996, getting elected to the Illinois state senate. By the time he was elected in 2008, he had served 12 years in state and federal office. Maybe not a lifetime, but not "unqualified" either in my book. Probably too much experience for your side if I'm being honest since your collective placed so much emphasis on being an outsider this election cycle.
                              "I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm."
                              -Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X