What timing belt kit is good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hard to beat the Continental Kits.

From a service standpoint - I tend to run the Conti Belt, and run INA everything else (depending on application the Conti Kits will come with GWB components) unless I have no other options. Forced Firebird hit it on the head though - all the kits do a great job, just keep track on when you installed and replace preventatively.
    clutchCTRL!
    Move with a purpose.
    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
    - 2000 323i AT
    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
      I prefer Gates over the other brands having compared their belts with Continental ContiTech and other well known brands. Gates belts have a substantially better feel to them.

Whichever belt you buy, be sure to treat it with a good rubber protectant such as Aerospace 303 to prolong its service life.
      Please tell how Aerospace 303 will prolong the life of a timing belt? It's a UV protectant, but last I checked there's no way that belt is going to see any sun.

I think some on here are overthinking things. Most timing belt kits - even the cheap ones - won't give any trouble if they're replaced regularly.

The important bit is to make sure you replace the belt as has been pointed out.

That said, my Dad managed accidentally to get around 130,000 miles out of an OEM belt as he switched engines in his car and thought he'd done the belt when he fitted the engine, but he'd done the belt on another M20?! The bearing got noisy, and when he pulled it apart to replace it, he realised that it was an old belt. We went back through the service records for that engine and it was 13 years since the last change.
      My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

No failed Continental belts since I started using them on my 1st 325i back in 1999. They always look great when changed - I actually save them for doomsday - LOL

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
          No failed Continental belts since I started using them on my 1st 325i back in 1999. They always look great when changed - I actually save them for doomsday - LOL
          That makes sense since MacGyver hoards them too
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
            For several years I would hang the timing belts on a shelf hook at the shop. I was never again asked "have you done a timing belt before". heh. Finally threw them away about 1.5yr ago, filled a medium sized garbage can. Need to see if I can find pics, my mechanic at the time put them around his neck and was acting like "Mr. T".
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I watched Mad Max too much when I was a kid

Comment

My usual parts supplier gets Conti belts in and I'm replacing them every couple of years at around 90K km - have had no problems at all. Not sure who makes the tensioner, but it comes with the kit. No problems there either using those parts in the last 5 years.
                Estoguy
                1986 BMW 325, Alpenweiss ~ "Elsa"

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

Comment

Working...
                X