M20B29 hesitation at WOT above 5k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by apostate View Post
    Check the Vibration damper. With the years it gets soft and in higher RPMs may "confuse" the CPS.
    Sorry that I intruded.
    I have seen this before.

I thought I had mentioned it before, but I went back saw that I didn't. Definitely try swapping in another vibration damper.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

I ended up getting a decent deal on a DIYPNP unit, and now that it soldered together and set up, I can confirm that megasquirt did fix the problem. going to take it to a real tuner here in the coming days and get a dyno tune done.

It sounds glorious at 7K.

Happy the car runs right. Wish we could've figured out the issue with the motronic system but alas.

I'm still suspicious of the vibe damper. could have been the issue.

I'm also suspicious that the AFM isn't completely ignored in these operating conditions. I haven't seen any official documents, but it seems to be the general consensus.

Comment

you should update your cars thread. I like it. Cant wait to see what this does when its fully tuned
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Glad it worked out. Don't worry about the AFM or the vibration damper, they were most likely not the issue.

Megasquirt is just the fix for this hiccup.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

I mean I agree, I'm not gonna worry about them any more, but - there SHOULD - have been a simple way to fix the issue...... especially since it has happened on others mostly stock cars.

The engineer in me is frustrated lol

gonna update the other threads soon.

Thanks again for all the help guys. Really appreciate it.

Comment

I think the OEM fix is a brand new engine harness. After 30 years the shielding doesn't protect enough and something about the harmonics of the chassis and a bunch of other electrical engineering stuff that I don't understand come into play.

A brand new engine harness was over $800 3 years ago, no idea what it is now. So yeah, Megasquirt is the answer.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
              X