1988 528e m30 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 528e m30 swap

Just brought home a m30b34 motor, picking up the manual trans, driveshaft, radiator, ecu, and basically everything except the exhaust from the cat back. Throwing it into my 528e and it should end up nice.

First I'm going to replace some gaskets, clean the motor up, paint the valve cover gasket and intake manifold, replace exhaust manifold gaskets, and probably hoses and plugs.

I'll post photos as I do work.

got the valve cover off, cleaned and 4 coats of high temperature paint have been laid down. the camshaft and rocker arms look beautiful. Going to pick up a bunch of parts now. Post photos when I get back.

Comment

damn exhaust gasket nuts....gotta pull the torch out for the 2 tough ones. Might have stripped them haha

Comment

Comment

haha ok not exhaust gasket nuts, but exhaust manifold. funny me. regardless, I should be doing everything with a torch next to me. Picking up a bunch of stuff tomorrow. I decided I'm going to go with either a custom exhaust down from stock downpipes or custom all way back from the headers. Just cutting and welding right?

Comment

Cleaned and painted a few more parts today, but obviously something dumb had to happen. How do I get the electrical connections off my injectors? I don't know if it's a simple pull or I need a tool? Don't want to break anything just yet.

Comment

intake manifold off, injectors out. fun! cleaning the intake manifold now, getting it ready for paint. then it's to the block for more cleaning. how can you drop a dirty engine in a car? I'd just rather not.

Comment

so far i'm 400 for engine and trans and driveshaft and radiator and other stuff
                100 for other parts (distributor cap and rotor, ac compressor)
                and 250 in new parts - gaskets / seals / bearings / thermostat, water pump, clutch fork, blah blah blah blah parts parts parts. Buying parts is so stressful..."is this everything I need?" I keep thinking that before clicking check out.

Comment

Did you ever finish the swap?
                  Oh nevermind, I just saw your last post date.

Comment

I did not finish, been waiting for parts...
                    as soon as they're here...I'll put them on the engine, then swap!

Comment

well it's been fun.

heres a long list of stuff that has been done. I'm here for extra help obviously.

Ok pictures of some stuff.

Comment

few pics of building the "stand" and after I added the thermostat and did the upper timing cover and the thermostat gaskets and I don't remember what else, oh yeah--tapping for the brake booster fitting. she looks good I guess? People love pictures too, so here. that's my dad jumping in to weld, he loves jumping in for the fun stuff and not being around when it's tough work.

Comment

way too busy lately, with my heater going out and a defroster being important during the cold weather....I haven't done much to the motor pertaining to the swap.

Where the inspection cover goes. Getting that asap.

The getrag 260/6 bellhousing does not mount up to the oil pan because this is a m30b34.

some paint....

some more paint...

Comment

this was probably mid day. only took 3 pics, my hands are disgusting and the camera is new.

Comment

chop chop.

which bolts do you loosen to get the hoses off? I don't have any r134 in the system.

exhaust(ing)

really couldn't see where I was cutting (oops!) but a quick weld job should suffice.

Comment

Working...
                              X