leaking coolant from radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leaking coolant from radiator

hey guys, my 95 525it started leaking coolant from what appears to be a plastic fillips plug next to the coolant filler cap. I'm not positive this is what's leaking, could be coming from the cap itself but I couldn't tell. here's a pic. car told me coolant level is low but its not overheating.

"Once more into the fray."
    sigpic

Cheapest thing to do would be purchase a new cap and see if that solves the problem.

Comment

its leaking from the drainplug next to the cap. the Phillips head broke off of the threads and the threads are stuck in the hole now. any advice on how the hell to get a plastic threaded bolt out of the hole?
      sigpic

Comment

anyone have advice on how to get the plastic threads out of the drainplug hole? the head broke off, I have a new metal drainplug I'm picking up tomorrow but in order to install it and repair the leak I have to get the old threads out...

also, it was overheating on and off the whole way home tonight, wouldn't make up its mind which I thought was very weird, and I now have no heat again, but the coolant is definitely circulating...
        sigpic

Comment

That is the bleeder screw, it is plastic. You can sometimes remove a broken one by heating a flat blade screwdriver just smaller than the root diameter of the screw and melting it into the remaining portion of the screw. This requires a bit of finesses not to melt too much or damage the threads on the radiator tank which are also plastic.
          Keep a cup of water handy to cool things quickly if you need to.
          This is a pretty common problem and the described method has worked for me.
          Good luck

Comment

Working...
          X