Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identify this plug - 84 318i M10

Hey guys,

I have a buddy, an older guy, who picked up an 84 318i M10 with 105k on it. He loves the car for the simplicity, but it hasn't run since he bought it. He was told he needed a DME so he bought a new one and threw it in and it didn't work. The car has good new gas, good fuel pressure, spark and power to everything. It will crank all day and the motor spins freely, has compression but it just will not fire. I have not been able to go take a look at it, but he noticed that right next to the airbox there is what looks like some sort of broken connector or something. I'm very unfamiliar with M10s, so I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me what this is or if it may have anything to do with the no-start issue.

We appreciate any advice. Thanks!
    Last edited by JCarp90; 09-05-2013, 09:18 PM.

Don't mean to hate, but that picture is kinda bad man. Like, detail wise. Could you at least circle the plug you're talking about in paint or something?

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
      Don't mean to hate, but that picture is kinda bad man. Like, detail wise. Could you at least circle the plug you're talking about in paint or something?
      Thanks.

I updated the OP with the plug circled in red. I understand they're shit pictures and I've asked for better ones.

Comment

I know what plug you are talking about, as my car is an M10. Honestly though, I haven't a clue what it does.
        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by Holland View Post
          I know what plug you are talking about, as my car is an M10. Honestly though, I haven't a clue what it does.
          You got me all excited for a second. :(

Comment

Looks like the barometric pressure sensor like what comes on etas. Not sure if M10's came with them. Yours looks broken though.

Comment

According to this, 318s did have the sensor:

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                Looks like the barometric pressure sensor like what comes on etas. Not sure if M10's came with them. Yours looks broken though.

Wow, that looks like it. It's my understanding that these only came on automatics. This car is a 5-speed... Am I wrong?

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                According to this, 318s did have the sensor:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...37&hg=13&fg=15
                Thank you for looking that up.

Is it possible that this sensor is causing the no-start issue?

Comment

Originally posted by JCarp90 View Post
                  Wow, that looks like it. It's my understanding that these only came on automatics. This car is a 5-speed... Am I wrong?

Thank you for looking that up.

Is it possible that this sensor is causing the no-start issue?
                  My car has it and it's a 5 speed.
                  1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                  You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

I'm not sure on an E30 honestly but I know with several other manufacturers that this could cause a no start. The MAF will adjust Air fuel based on the reading it gets inside your intake compared to outside your intake. It gets the outside information from the BPS.
                    1995 SC300 2JZGTE
                    2000 Volvo
                    2006 Civic

Comment

Pulled parts of an eta at the yard Friday, it was a 5 speed and had the BPS. You should see a wire with a connector somewhere near it that should plug in to the BPS (if you had one).
                      90 325i DD/Track
                      03 Durango 5.9

Originally posted by e30mpg
                      It is recommended to get new gasket but this is R3v and we just copper spray that shit......slap biotch on and tighten to tq.

Comment

Originally posted by Some Random Site
                        The sensor changes frequency relative to intake manifold vacuum. The sensor frequency increases as vacuum increases. The BP sensor is used to sense the changes in barometric pressure, allowing the PCM to sense the altitude at which the vehicle is operating. Its signal affects, spark advance for altitude compensation.
                        The BP sensor was only used in early MAF systems
                        So I'm guessing that the installation of BPS is relative to the area in which the car would be sold.

I don't know about the no start thing.I have the M10 and don't have BPS.
                        What ECU did he buy?There are a couple of ECU's for the M10 and none are interchangheable.
                        Has he checked the timing , leads , the distributor so the spark is spot on and not 180° off?

Comment

The BPS will NOT cause a no start, With it unplugged the dme assumes the car is at sea level.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X