Tachometer&mpg gauge not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer&mpg gauge not working

yesterday after trying to replace my OBC my tachometer mpg gauge and speedometer stopped responding. I tried tapping the shit out of my cluster and after a few hard taps the speedometer starts to respond until after i drive over a pot hole then the speedometer freezes in its spot until i tap it again. i checked all my fuzes and only 17 & 3 are messed up, 12 and 10 look fine, anything else i can check before i start taking apart the cluster??
    Last edited by Bryanlopez325; 08-29-2014, 09:02 PM. Reason: jasons a bitch

i have almost the same issue, the only difference is that my speedometer works. the problem started sometime when I was wiring the radio. i also disconnected my OBC while wiring, is there something about the OBC making it the most likely cause? i didn't disconnect my battery while messing around and thought I had just shorted something. all of my fuses are fine on a visual inspection, the ones related to the dash/cluster were tested with a multimeter and are fine.. what's the missing link here?

i should also mention that my interior lights, door/seatbelt chimes, and trunk light no longer work either, and the issues all started at the same time.

Comment

Coding plug. Take off your cluster surround and you should see a white square thing you can pull out. Replace that and you should be golden. Happened to me and that was the issue.
      1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
      2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
      2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Sweet thanks by any chance do you have a part number for that

Comment

Originally posted by Bryanlopez325 View Post
          Sweet thanks by any chance do you have a part number for that
          Realoem.com
          1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
          2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
          2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Gotcha

Comment

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
              Coding plug. Take off your cluster surround and you should see a white square thing you can pull out. Replace that and you should be golden. Happened to me and that was the issue.
              the coding plug has NOTHING to do with the speedometer.

it sounds more like a power or ground issue to me.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                the coding plug has NOTHING to do with the speedometer.

it sounds more like a power or ground issue to me.
                Well the speedemeter stopped tripping on me it's just the tachometer that isn't responding

Comment

I highly doubt its the coding plug. Of the hundreds and hundreds of SI boards and clusters that I have repaired, I've never seen a coding plug fail.

I bet its your fuses. Never trust your eyes or multimeter. Fuses must be tested with a test light because it draws more current through the fuse.

Replace fuse 10, 12, and 21 with new. Old fuses also get corroded and even though the look good, the connection can be poor. They can also develop micro cracks that expand with heat and current.

If you you put new fuses and still have problems, its most likely your SI board. The SI board powers and controls the tach, temp, MPG and OBC. Once those batteries die, any combination of those gauges will either intermittently fail or permanently fail.
                  Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                  BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                  www.BavRest.com
                  My Feedback Thread
                  Our Facebook!
                  Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Just changed those fuses, still no response am I better off replacing the battery or just getting another cluster?

Comment

Better off replacing batteries. Swapping to another used cluster will still have an SI board with dead batteries.
                      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                      www.BavRest.com
                      My Feedback Thread
                      Our Facebook!
                      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Working...
                      X