Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting valve cover...

Hey,

Today I plan on adjusting my valves, and at the same time, cleaning and painting my valve cover.

I picked up some Dupli-Color Engine Enamel with Ceremic from Walmart - black, good up to 500 F? I was asking if that would work alright, the back said it was ideal for valve covers, so I thought, what the heck.

The reaosn? Maybe it'll be easier to keep clean. I'll be painting the whole thing black, and either putting tape over the BMW and lines part of the cover, or sanding the paint off the raised portion after I paint the cover. Which works best?

Thanks, and suggestions are welcome fairly soon, since that cover's coming off in hopefully in less than an hour. ;)
    - Sean Hayes

tell me how it goes? i want to do the same

Comment

Both the tape and sanding methods have there up and downs. with the tape method there are some small spot that don't get paint where you wnated paint, where as with the sanding method sometimes you sand off paint you didn't want to. I used the Duplicolor Engine paint every time and it works good. Since you buaght the ceramic paint bake the paint on in the oven when your done. I did the valve cover and intake in Duplicolor engine enamel and the Exhuast in the Duplicolor Cermic High heat(up to 1000F)
      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

So, when I'm done painting it, I should bake it in the oven. How long and at what temp should I do it?

Thanks a lot!
        - Sean Hayes

Comment

When I replaced my exhaust this summer I painted the muffler with Dupli-Color High Heat paint. I only put one coat on but it is holding up really well. I was very impressed with how fast it dried, it was completely dry after only 15 minutes. I plan on using the rest of the can to paint my valve cover. I don't think I'll put it in the oven though.

Comment

Re: Painting valve cover...

Originally posted by Sean
            Dupli-Color Engine Enamel
            Complete garbage, horrid paint.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
            https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

What's your suggestion?
              Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
              EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
              FullOpp Stickers for sale!
              NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
              Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
              ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Yes, please, what is it? Cause, I need to paint today. :)

If it works, it'll work. I can always take it off later if i want.
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

You don't have to bake it. With the ceramic paint if You bake it in the oven it will stick better and won't chip off. I wouldn't worry about it with the valve cover but with the exhuast manifolds every one recomends baking it. I'm not sure how long or what temp as I haven't baked mine yet.
                  85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

PowderCoat or Krinkle paint.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

for the pieces you have to bake, I reccomend using a BBQ grill for three reasons:

1) The excess oil inside your valve cover will start to smoke when you bake it, probably something you dont want in your house
                      2) Well, maybe a personal deal, but sanitary reasons
                      3) My mom didn't like the idea of me putting a car part in our oven :?

Just my 2 cents

Kyle
                      1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                      DILLIGAF

Comment

It wasn't until I got the cover off that I actually started thinking - how will I clean this thing?

What do I use to clean it, preferrably a way wehre I don't ruin all my parent's rags and whatnot. ;)
                        - Sean Hayes

Comment

simple green and a wire brush? Take your time

Comment

I went ahead and found some dumb brush in my dad's tool chest, and sprayed a bunch of goof-off and running water on it.

it worked quite well, second coat of black paint is drying now, and it's time to add my third and final coat, then I can finally put it back on. :)

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
                            - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                              PowderCoat or Krinkle paint.
                              where's a good place to get these products?

thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X