No announcement yet.

M52 crank machining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S52 rods are pretty light, strong and at least they used to be cheap.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Update for this post.

will not be touching/cutting the crank and going with 135 rods and IE Mile pistons.

M52 crank clears my block nicely. They only area where it comes close is the oil return. Not my pic but the crank clears with about 1.2mm clearance there. Should I still grind the block? What # would you recommend as far as crank to block clearance goes?

Andrew's pic. My M52 crank actually clears there with the above mentioned clearance

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
      I think I'm going with new 85mm pistons and 135mm rods. Better R/S ratio than 130mm and no 160k mile pistons. After all....this is supposed to be a project :)

Any reason to go IE/Mahle vs custom JE for $200 more? Also looks like schrick and dbilas cam is about the same price.. The head has new OEM springs: should I go with dbilas 284/284 or schrick 284/272? I trust schrick but do not know much about dbilas cam.
      Last edited by zaq123; 01-24-2017, 03:05 AM.

Comment

0.080-0.100" is more than enough.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
          0.080-0.100" is more than enough.
          mine is just one half that, 47 thou. I guess I should grind it?

Comment

Rods can stretch .040+ (why you want piston to head clearance) - would be difficult to measure crankshaft wobble, but I would personally go close to .100" as possible to be safe...
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

i would just to be sure, the counterweights in all honesty wont grow that much but the crank can also float axially close to 0.2mm, given its a 30 sec job to grind that area with a die grinder, its not really worth risking
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

nice thread - if anyone reading is interested, I have an extra crank spacer and a set of eta 130mm connecting rods available for a 2.8 liter stroker build that I never used. PM me if interested.
                Mike
                Cary, NC
                Current Rides
                1991 325iC - For Sale
                2006 M3 Cabriolet
                Past Rides
                2000 323i Touring - Daily Driver
                1994 325is (S50) - Fast Car
                1998 Z3 - Fun Car
                1986 325e (i engine conversion)
                1969 Mustang Mach 1

Comment