Does my engine sound ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does my engine sound ok?

Hey guys, I still pretty new with E30s. I've done a lot to the car but I was curious if my car sounds normal. It's sadly an automatic and in the video it's in park so it's ilding at 1500 rpm (not sure if that's normal rpm for park). when in drive or reverse it idles at 900 rpm. Is the ticking noise the lifter clearance? besides the ticking noise, are the other noises from the car normal? The car was started just before the video in 15 fahrenheit weather. Also the car has a exhaust leak

Originally posted by AlexSutherland View Post
    https://youtu.be/eXQC1cJRrOE
    Hey guys, I still pretty new with E30s. I've done a lot to the car but I was curious if my car sounds normal. It's sadly an automatic and in the video it's in park so it's ilding at 1500 rpm (not sure if that's normal rpm for park). when in drive or reverse it idles at 900 rpm. Is the ticking noise the lifter clearance? besides the ticking noise, are the other noises from the car normal? The car was started just before the video in 15 fahrenheit weather. Also the car has a exhaust leak
    Idle should be 650-750 and in drive with brake on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '90 325i sedan daily driven
    '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

I would check the TPS sensor if you have a steady high idle. That TPS sensor controls the idle control valve. Also, check for vac leaks.

If you have not done a valve adjustment, I would do so, but these engines have noisy injectors, so don't expect to eliminate all the ticking.
      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
      X