Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What're they costs for a reliable turbo setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What're they costs for a reliable turbo setup?

If one wanted to build a reliable turbo setup for the M20 to achieve, say, 300rwhp, what would it consist of and what would the costs be?

fuel management is the real key.
    You'll also want to make sure you engine is in tip top running condition.

www.turbochargingdynamics.com take a look they have some kits. Do a little searching as well.

Comment

There's really no such thing as a "reliable" 300whp M20, at least compared to stock.

~300whp kit with everything you need: TCD Stage 2 - $5125.

That's the best "kit" out there, and TCD's project car they tested the original kit on it still holding up well, even with high miles.

You can get that much power for a lot less money if you put everything together yourself, but the kit is convenient, proven, and relatively reliable. Don't forget that you'll need a serious clutch, too.

Comment

I'm sorry guys, I said kit. I should've said custom kit as I'll be building this myself and piecing everything together. There's NO WAY I'd pay $5k+ for a turbo setup when if I built it myself I'm sure I could have the best of everything for well under $3k. The price of aftermarket "kits" for cars is ridiculous. Say I was piecing everything together myself, what do you guys think it'd cost? Can the 524td manifold flow enough air for 300rwhp?

Comment

Originally posted by BuddiesWithJesus
          Can the 524td manifold flow enough air for 300rwhp?
          Don't bother, that manifold is crap.

I believe TCD's log-style manifold is $695. Theirs works great, or for about the same money you can try to get a ProTurbo (sp?) equal-length tube manifold imported (personally what I'd do if I was building my own 'kit'). There's also a Y-pipe adapter available that connects your two stock exhaust manifolds to a turbo flange. Kind of a cheap method, but it works too.

You can probably piece together a good, powerful set up for ~$3K, using all new parts. The real pain in the ass is getting the right sized tubing though. That's what great about TCD's kit, as it is literally a bolt-on kit and engineered to work perfectly on an M20.
          Also, TCD uses a sick water/air intercooler that I don't believe you can buy from them separately. Most people making their own turbo set ups use air to air FMIC's, which add complexity and lag to the intake system.

On a high mileage M20 in a high mileage E30, plan on something breaking with 300hp, especially the clutch.

Comment

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with an air to water intercooler. I've seen alot of them on various MR2's and I just don't like them as much as Air to Air, although with cool water the ATW is much cooler.

Say my goal was to build a reliable 300rwhp turbo kit for as cheap as possible, what route would you go? Although a $700 mainfold would be better, if 300rwhp is our goal and we can achieve our goal cheaper and not sacrifice reliability, it'd be in our best interest.

Comment

if you are going to do it then do it right and don't be cheap!

3000 for a good turbo set-up on a m20 sounds good though.

Mike Fritz

Comment

Who says you can't do it right *and* cheap? :)

Comment

Fast.
                  Reliable.
                  Cheap.

Your car can be any and only two of those.

Comment

Yes yes, I know :P

So say the happy medium is $3000, 300rwhp, with a 20% reduction in reliablility. I have to believe that as these cars age and more and more cars go to junkyards increasing the available number of parts/turbo's/etc. that the costs should come down.

BTW, as soon as my clutch goes out I'm installing a 6 puck whether I'm turbo'd or not. I LOVE the way they feel, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddiesWithJesus
                      BTW, as soon as my clutch goes out I'm installing a 6 puck whether I'm turbo'd or not. I LOVE the way they feel, haha.
                      You can have mine.

Never again.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                        You can have mine.

Never again.
                        HAHA why not man?

Comment

Daily drive a e30 with a unsprung 6 puck metallic clutch in big city traffic for awhile.

You'll smarten the fuck up in a hurry.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Lol. Never did it in an E30 but I did in my '93 MR2 Turbo for a year. My left leg got strong real quick. I loved how it grabbed, how it held, and just the overall feel and feedback of it. I was DEFINATELY in the minority though, almost everyone that drove it absolutely hated it.

Comment

I love hard clutches, feels alot better IMO.
                              '87 alpine white 325is

Comment

Working...
                              X