No announcement yet.

Best internals for an M20 turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, but not at 12psi. I've seen a handful of stock bottom end (hell, stock period) M20s on boost and they never failed. I don't think there's any need for concern until you start going over 15psi.

Any catastrophic failures (meaning beyond a headgasket) below 15psi that I would go ahead to say that the most probable cause is either a poor tune or some part of the system was bad (cooling issues, overheating, etc etc)

- Erick
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

There really is no need to do ANYTHING to an M20 if you're planning on making around the 400WHP mark.

The 8.8CR is perfect for boost... 20-21 psi is not an issue at all for a stock M20.

My friends E30 runs 20psi daily that I did the stand alone on and tuned. It's a stock M20 down to the stock paper headgasket. The only thing the motor has is Raceware head studs. The motor had approx 270,000km on it when it was boosted. Now is probably very close to 290,000 if not past that.

The car get's beaten on many times a day and still hasn't missed a beat. The car was dyno tuned on a very hot & humid day @ 374RWHP @ 18psi on 91 pump. The car makes 400RWHP easily on a cooler day @ ~20psi.

I think a lot of people underestimate how strong these motors are when accommodated with a good tune.
      E36 · VEMS · TUNING
      Google Talk: NOTORIOUS VR

Comment

What a relief to hear these motors are so strong. I just bought a 89 with a 119,000 miles and was planning on turboing it. I was thinking 119K is to high for a turbo. It's good to hear these motors can handle it no problem.

Comment

i'm turboing next summer, and with piece of mind knowing that these stock motors can take a bullet or two. all i'm gonna do is head studs and the thick head gasket. thats it. and a nice tune.

Comment

sounds like the same to me. I had a feeling 8.8 compression I could boost the crap out of it. So what..I pull the head off, do a new gasket and studs, and call it a day. turbo adaptor, swain coat the stock headers and port them a bit, and throw an HX35 on there. Done.

My shop is a distributor for Haltech on the east coast, so I have my engine management covered already.

Im sure the rods are stout..I saw them in various threads, and they are pretty stout. No cam or anything in my engine..stock redline with lots of boost.

Comment

just an update. Did a clean up tune on my buddys car. 400.49rwhp at 21psi on 94 pump.

No need to waste money on internals if everything is good on your motor and have a good tune.
              E36 · VEMS · TUNING
              Google Talk: NOTORIOUS VR

Comment

This is all good news. I just bought a t70 turbo, mls gasket, and new studs today. Now I just need to decide what to do with the eta head. Trash it for an is, or swap internals.

Comment

Working...
                X