R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > E30 FAQ and DIY

Old 02-14-2017, 11:32 PM   #91
Hynrgee
Noobie

Worked for Me

I tried the 50/50 mix following jhaurimn's instructions and then used Luke's approach to getting cosmoline off the valve cover and intake manifold. What a difference! If I could post photos I would share a pretty dramatic before and after. I've cleaned the engine bay before but it has never looked this good. These are simple and inexpensive approaches to maintaining the car. Thanks for sharing.
Hynrgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #92
Mahalaleel
Advanced Member

So it's been a while now. I think the shiny washed off in the car wash, so they're back to chalky.

I may try plasti-dipping the door moldings and the trim around the windows and belt moldings, to see if I really want it all black.
Mahalaleel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:19 PM   #93
nmlss2006
E30 Modder

Folks, I hate to just come back and be 'that guy' but linseed oil is what was used in place of modern transparent urethane coatings... before there were urethane coatings.

Apart from the combustion concerns (which should perhaps be studied a little more carefully: in particular, with a thin layer that has already polymerised... you do not need to worry), which really are non-existent, it is meaningfully outperformed in any application by modern products. To include something like a can of Rustoleum matte clear, among others...
nmlss2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:18 AM   #94
jhaurimn
R3VLimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmlss2006 View Post
Folks, I hate to just come back and be 'that guy' but linseed oil is what was used in place of modern transparent urethane coatings... before there were urethane coatings.

Apart from the combustion concerns (which should perhaps be studied a little more carefully: in particular, with a thin layer that has already polymerised... you do not need to worry), which really are non-existent, it is meaningfully outperformed in any application by modern products. To include something like a can of Rustoleum matte clear, among others...

Well, ofcourse painting is more effective. But painting requires masking, removal of parts, etc.

There isnt really a permanent solution to trim fading. It happens no matter what product you use. (even your spray can clear coat will fade eventually) This combination however is extremely cheap, very fast to apply, and will last at the very least a few months. Which is comparable to most, much more expensive products.
Past:
2001 330ci
2001 M3
jhaurimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #95
Powling
E30 Addict

I did the linseed oil method a couple weeks ago and it was so stupid easy to do, and made so much extra for applying later on that I don't mind reapplying it every few months.

Heck, its a 25 year old car with 25 year old plastic. I'm not expecting it to be perfectly black unless I am replacing the parts with brand new OEM replacements.
Powling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #96
Shangsta
E30 Fanatic

I did it last night and I agree with the above poster. It took some trim that was so grey i was convinced that it would need to be painted and made it look black again
Shangsta is offline   Reply With Quote