Anyone using GC camber/caster plates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using GC camber/caster plates?

I've been thinking about ordering the GC camber/caster plates. I kind of band-aided the situation by going back down to a 16" wheel for now. (my current set up: e36 m3 spindle & fortune auto coilovers, e46 LCA with SLRSPEED mini-angle kit, and I also have AKG race fcab's that are 0'd out right now and i could use a little more adjustment. The FA coilovers have slrspeed camber/caster plates but don't really help without drilling the shock tower (which i'm not going to do) and really gives me 0 camber adjustment in it's current configuration. I'm actually going to throw back on the fortune auto plates just to see if there are any wheel clearance issues with the 16's (which i highly doubt since i'm only running 205/45/16).

Anyways, I wanted to know if anyone runs the GC plates and if they could give me any real reviews/input on them. (like how many degrees of positive caster do you think it gives? I sent an email over to GC, and they haven't gotten back yet) Is it worth getting the street/scca version with hybrid perches, or just go full out race. I only really use the car for spirited drives, and hopefully more track days, NVH isn't an issue because the whole car has a mix of poly or solid bushings, so I was leaning on the race ones. Thanks!

PFA i guess
    89 325i 4dr s52
    02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
    21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

I've got a set of the street prepared GC adjustment plates on my car and don't consider it very harsh. I can't speak for the impact of the plates along because I installed them with the coilovers all at the same time. If you don't care about NVH, definitely just go for the race ones.

Current settings were measured (in my not so level garage):
    Camber: -3.3°
    Caster: 9°

I have lots of room left on camber, but the caster is maxed out. (https://i.imgur.com/qUc8Wrn.jpg)

Comment

I can't speak to the level of adjustability, but I went from the trash spherical-bearing-only ebay camber plates to GC race plates and they've been great. With the separate spring perch bearing setup I don't get any spring bind as long as I grease the thrust bearings every 6mo or so, and no wear has developed on the sphericals after 3 years of use.
      Make sure you order the right strut bushings for your struts, and install them the right side up - I had some interference between strut and perch when I had them backwards.

I do have the older style ones that don't have the socket head cap screws recessed into the upper plate, so you'd get more adjustment (without cutting the tower) from the current version.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Awesome, thanks for the replies both of you. I got a response from GC today, "The Hybrid plates are the same as the Race plates except for the spring isolators. Both versions offer 47mm of negative camber adjustment and 14mm of positive caster adjustment. "

I think I'll just get the street prep ones. I like the idea of the urethane pad there vs the spring to the bare billet aluminum. especially for only $20. I thought the Race plates offered more camber adjustment just from the design.
        89 325i 4dr s52
        02 BMW 525iT m54b30/manual swapped (daily) *sold*
        21' Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6 speed Manual

Comment

Working...
        X