Warning: Avoid Member S14life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning: Avoid Member S14life

If user S14life messages you that he has parts available, or knows someone that does, ignore them.

He messaged me that he knew a guy in Illinois who had ellipsoids for sale and gave me his contact information: John denvir jonnypaul1999@gmail.com

After going back and forth, seeing some pictures, we agreed on a price and I sent him payment through venmo (my first and last time using it). The payment went to his "cousin". Then he couldn't get the money to his bank, then he was going to refund me, then he disappeared. This was over the course of 2 weeks starting at the beginning of November. I filed a dispute with my bank and they got the money back from Venmo.

Fast forward to today. I get a message on tapatalk from a user Hollifield that he has Ellipsoids for sale, but in parentheses next to his user name is (S14life).

I run with this. I send him a text (phone number is 507-591-7938), he has the lights, sends me a picture:

He's in Minnesota. Great. I google image search the picture he sends me and it was taken from an ebay listing for Ellipsoids in Florida:

I call him out on the whole thing, he plays dumb and eventually gets flustered and tells me to "Get another buyer".

If this should go in another area of the forum, or if someone finds this inappropriate, delete it, remove it, whatever. But this guy fucked me out of $220 for two weeks and then tried doing it again.
    Last edited by gilber33; 11-30-2018, 09:47 AM.

Sucky situation. Venmo never seems like a good idea to purchase parts with. Also are ellipsoids really mid 200s? I thought that was smiley territory and ellips were like 160?

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
      Sucky situation. Venmo never seems like a good idea to purchase parts with. Also are ellipsoids really mid 200s? I thought that was smiley territory and ellips were like 160?

I'm looking for OEM US Ellipsoids; those are the prices of the Depo aftermarket sets. I just want them to be plug and play and not deal with the wiring. If I can't find a set, then I'll get Depos again.

And Venmo is a terrible app to use for purchasing parts. I have never used it before, I was not aware that there is zero buyer protection. If you send money to the wrong person, you are shit out of luck. Venmo says if that happens, message the person and ask for your money back.

Comment

Looked at S14life profile... Here is what comes up, the email is christinebartell0044@gmail.com list their e30 as a 2008, and their IP is out of Atlanta, GA but they have their location as TX.

I'm going to ban and IP ban as it is a scammer.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Damn, they're getting pretty good. There's a few red flags in that process, but I probably would have went for it too, if it was something I needed.

Do you still have the back and fourth conversation from either contact? Would be nice to see, just to know of things to look out for.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
            Looked at S14life profile... Here is what comes up, the email is christinebartell0044@gmail.com list their e30 as a 2008, and their IP is out of Atlanta, GA but they have their location as TX.

I'm going to ban and IP ban as it is a scammer.
            Well done.
            ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Originally posted by gilber33 View Post
              I'm looking for OEM US Ellipsoids; those are the prices of the Depo aftermarket sets. I just want them to be plug and play and not deal with the wiring. If I can't find a set, then I'll get Depos again.

And Venmo is a terrible app to use for purchasing parts. I have never used it before, I was not aware that there is zero buyer protection. If you send money to the wrong person, you are shit out of luck. Venmo says if that happens, message the person and ask for your money back.

Venmo was designed for friends to easily send money to eachother, not as a purchasing platform. I use Venmo on a regular basis with my friends but would never even consider using it to purchase something.
              m106 1990 e30
              e36 daily
              e32 cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                Damn, they're getting pretty good. There's a few red flags in that process, but I probably would have went for it too, if it was something I needed.

Do you still have the back and fourth conversation from either contact? Would be nice to see, just to know of things to look out for.
                The guy was so committed to it that it was hard to tell it was a scam at first. I also google image searched the pics he sent me the first time and there were zero hits.

Originally posted by Rennsport View Post
                Venmo was designed for friends to easily send money to eachother, not as a purchasing platform. I use Venmo on a regular basis with my friends but would never even consider using it to purchase something.
                Right. I'm fully aware of that now. Like I said, it was my first time using it.

Comment

Working...
                X