No announcement yet.

Roof Racks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this is what I have. Yak. model ? I bought it off cl for $30. I'll have to provide better pics later but they are the q towers with a unknown clip

Yakima is the world's leading brand of car racks, including roof racks, bike racks, hitch racks, and many more for all of life's adventures.

as you can see it doesnt use the rain gutters so no scraping of paint or shadowling. Pretty stable although a slight fitment issue on the front rack. it barely closes to be able to be locked.

Pretty stable. Held up find with my cargo box jammed packed full of clothes. I probably exceeded the 100lb limit for the rack on move.
    Last edited by ///M42 sport; 02-25-2010, 09:55 AM.
    Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

You need to use the correct clips. It will fit alot better, and be much easier to use.

They are Q30s, you can also modify the clips you have if they are close. Heat them up and bend them to fit.

"I go slow, cause;Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast."

Comment

I've been debating getting a rocketbox for my car instead of a standard rack, since I could fit more shit in there for trips to Tahoe and whatnot.

What models would fit on my car?

SC*AR

Originally posted by JamesE30
        And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

Comment

Originally posted by Trucidatio View Post
          This is mine.

[image omitted]

Thule 300 towers
          LB58 crossbars
          872xt fairing
          and 2 594 Sidearms bike carriers
          In your opening post you said correct fitment for e30s is 48" crossbars-- I presume the LB58 in your setup means there's no problem using 58" crossbars either? I'll just get a rack with more, er, poke?

Found some Yakima 1a's w/ 58" crossbars on CL... I assume you can run whatever length crossbars you want, except too-long will look absurd and leave gouges on the side of trailers you pass and you won't be able to fit through garage doors and stuff. Heh. Just wanted to double check though.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
            I've been debating getting a rocketbox for my car instead of a standard rack, since I could fit more shit in there for trips to Tahoe and whatnot.

What models would fit on my car?
            Any size box will fit on our cars. Its all just a matter of how big is to big.

I have had an 18 cubic foot box on my car and it didnt really look that bad.

I would say the most appropriate size is a 16 cubic or smaller box. It also depends on what you plan to carry.

Comment

Originally posted by nonlocal View Post
              In your opening post you said correct fitment for e30s is 48" crossbars-- I presume the LB58 in your setup means there's no problem using 58" crossbars either? I'll just get a rack with more, er, poke?

Found some Yakima 1a's w/ 58" crossbars on CL... I assume you can run whatever length crossbars you want, except too-long will look absurd and leave gouges on the side of trailers you pass and you won't be able to fit through garage doors and stuff. Heh. Just wanted to double check though.

Thanks.
              You can run any length of crossbar you want, locally for me atleast the only limiting factor is that it is illegal to have anything on the vehicle that is wider than the mirrors.

If you do have bars that are too long just cut them down, a hacksaw or a sawzall makes quick work of thule or yakima bars.

Comment

Any size box will fit on our cars. Its all just a matter of how big is to big.

I have had an 18 cubic foot box on my car and it didnt really look that bad.

I would say the most appropriate size is a 16 cubic or smaller box. It also depends on what you plan to carry.
                Just snowboards, and hopefully I can throw some boots and shit up there too to make more space for bags and whatnot in the trunk.

SC*AR

Originally posted by JamesE30
                And with a car looking like yours I imagine the balance shall tip in the favor of insult, like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw, opposite... a dwarf.

Comment

I have a sears xcargo. 20cubic foot capacity. A lot cheaper than the thule/yak boxes. and alot more space. I think its more practicle, but you really have to be aware of the momentum it carries. Its easy to overstuff the box and exceed the 100lb limit.

I think the slimline thule/tak boxes are better designed because they spread the weight around more

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by ///M42 sport View Post
                    I have a sears xcargo. 20cubic foot capacity. A lot cheaper than the thule/yak boxes. and alot more space. I think its more practicle, but you really have to be aware of the momentum it carries. Its easy to overstuff the box and exceed the 100lb limit.

I think the slimline thule/tak boxes are better designed because they spread the weight around more

lulz

to me that is like putting the cheapest shittiest used tires on your car and calling it a day.

Ya they work, but fuck that if you actually need to use them.

Comment

lulz

to me that is like putting the cheapest shittiest used tires on your car and calling it a day.

Ya they work, but fuck that if you actually need to use them.
                      ehh, sorry I would never spend $600-700 on a new cargo box...even if I do have money. There is no "cool" factor in having a box on your car...or running around with a roofrack just for looks.

Comment

Do you buy tires cause they look cool?

that is not the point I was trying to make.

Those boxes are poorly produced, badly designed, and can be dangerous to other motorists.

You can get a good yakima box for under 300, and if you wait for their specials you can get them for well bellow that price.

Comment

so i finally have to ask, members on here with roof racks, do you guys
                          actually lug things around? or is it a look thing? i dont think it adds
                          much aesthetically.

ive been hunting a rack locally, but i would really only slap it on the car
                          when i go for a bike ride up in the mountains, go surfing, snowboarding
                          etc. and once that day is done, the rack goes back into the closet/garage
                          till next ride.

it just seems to me that alot of people want to run the racks with the fairing
                          for looks?
                          sigpic

Comment

I say it goes both ways.
                            People have also said it reduces up to 3mpg also.

I like the look, but also use it for carrying my BMX bike and friends to the skatepark literally every 3 days.

Mine needs some serious wd40 sometime to take it off my roof so I save the hassle and leave it on there.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I do it for both reasons.

I use it frequently, but I also jsut enjoy the look of it on my car.

But it is off almost all the time now that I drive 60 miles everyday.

Comment

My setup.
                                Yakima SST Towers with Y19 Clips 48" crossbars and Thule Box.
                                http://www.crustproductions.com
                                Crust Production on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/crustpro...1?feature=mhw4
                                PNW BMW Owners Assoc on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...7143746&ref=ts

Comment

Working...
                                X