No announcement yet.

FX-R Projector Retrofit, Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the updates and comments everyone.

For those that have had fogging and condensation issues, it sounds like you had them sealed up pretty well but must have had some spots where water was getting in, but then couldn’t vent out fast enough? Did you have any type of vents? I plan on sealing things up to prevent water/spray from getting in but then having very purposeful vents that will be similar to oem where they are pointed so water cannot get in but allow quick airflow/transfer.
    Usually when headlights fog it means water is getting in but there isn’t sufficient venting to allow the air/temps to equalize.

Im moving forward with my DEPO/FXR retrofit (got both at really good prices) and I’ll update the thread when done.
    1990 325ic - 5-speed, sport package, white on indigo
    Other: 2006 RR full size SC

Past BMWs:
    2002 M3 Convertible
    2004 M3 Convertible
    2003 X5 4.6is
    2004 X5 4.4 Sport
    2004 545i 6-speed
    2001 330xi
    1997 328is
    1990 325is
    1996 328i

Comment

I preserved the indirect vents E30 headlights already come with around the perimeter of the headlight housing, and also tried adding gortex vents on the top, bottom and sides. Neither solution seemed to work.

You end up removing too much of the housing to fit FX-Rs since they are so unbelievable wide, so there's no good way to truly seal things back up. I think you are wasting your time, it's just not a suitable projector for the small E30 housings. You must completely enclose the back of FX-R projectors too, unlike with mini-H1. FX-R have zero sealing in them, they are solely intended to be completely encased in a headlight housing.

With mini-H1, you only need to seal past the mounting points. Aside from the width, that is why I think FX-R fundamentally will fail in an E30, you can't seal the back in any practical way. You also can't just use tons of silicone either, because at the end of the day you do have to be able to remove the bulbs. The back is the hottest part too, so 3d printed parts aren't going to hold up too well.
      Last edited by earthwormjim; 03-06-2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwman91 View Post
        Member glucklich21 has them on his site. Not sure of they are still in production.
        https://squaredmotorwerks.com/

i think that's probably dead.

Also another place but haven't heard anything from them.

kinda scared to be the first one. might be a shit product.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
          I preserved the indirect vents E30 headlights already come with around the perimeter of the headlight housing, and also tried adding gortex vents on the top, bottom and sides. Neither solution seemed to work.

You end up removing too much of the housing to fit FX-Rs since they are so unbelievable wide, so there's no good way to truly seal things back up. I think you are wasting your time, it's just not a suitable projector for the small E30 housings. You must completely enclose the back of FX-R projectors too, unlike with mini-H1. FX-R have zero sealing in them, they are solely intended to be completely encased in a headlight housing.

With mini-H1, you only need to seal past the mounting points. Aside from the width, that is why I think FX-R fundamentally will fail in an E30, you can't seal the back in any practical way. You also can't just use tons of silicone either, because at the end of the day you do have to be able to remove the bulbs. The back is the hottest part too, so 3d printed parts aren't going to hold up too well.
          I think you are slowly convincing me on the mini D2S 5.0.....found those when looking at the mini H1....they will still let me use my D2S bulbs and ballasts I have, and looks like a good performer (not 100% sure and difference between them and the H1)

Past BMWs:
          2002 M3 Convertible
          2004 M3 Convertible
          2003 X5 4.6is
          2004 X5 4.4 Sport
          2004 545i 6-speed
          2001 330xi
          1997 328is
          1990 325is
          1996 328i

Comment

They're very similar, and are much smaller than the FX-R. That's not a bad route for you to take. D2S is a little fatter than the H1, but should still be manageable.

D2S uses practically the same optics and identical lenses as the H1. Any differences are mainly just from using D2S bulbs vs. H1 base bulbs.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
              i think that's probably dead.

Also another place but haven't heard anything from them.

kinda scared to be the first one. might be a shit product.
              A friend bought these after having issues with his Squared conversion. He said they are much nicer and fit much better.

Comment

have him post pls!

my smileys are ok with 55w hids. they're not terrible no real complaints
                they have hot spots and such... but the bixenon is the real point for me.

ask him if everything sealed up good like a stock lamp ect.
                take some pics or something pls.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                  A friend bought these after having issues with his Squared conversion. He said they are much nicer and fit much better.

Would these adaptors work for Right Hand Drive cars too?

Comment

Originally posted by alistairolsen View Post
                    Would these adaptors work for Right Hand Drive cars too?
                    I don't know for sure, but they should. The only difference between RHD and LHD lights are the cutoff plate inside the projector. Otherwise they are symmetrical.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                      I don't know for sure, but they should. The only difference between RHD and LHD lights are the cutoff plate inside the projector. Otherwise they are symmetrical.

If we're talking OEM, RHD and LHD headlights are the same, you convert between the two by twisting the headlight projector after loosening the mounting screws. For mini-H1 projectors, you're correct.

I see no reason why RHD wouldn't work with these adapters, just buy RHD mini-H1 headlights.
                      Last edited by earthwormjim; 03-11-2019, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                        If we're talking OEM, RHD and LHD headlights are the same, you convert between the two by twisting the headlight projector after loosening the mounting screws.
                        Oh yeah, that's right! I forgot they did that.

Comment

Alright guys - finished my retrofit. I’m still figuring out this picture and video hosting thing.....years ago when I used to be more active on forums we could just upload right to the site :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145885...57690455090743

Anyways let me know if that album works.

I ended up going with DEPO housings, with Morimoto Mini D2S 4.0 projectors, Hella Gen 3 Ballasts from Audi S6 (old but super reliable), Philips 85122 bulbs, and a 9006 relay harness (for a direct connect into the ballasts and to have these run straight off the battery)

Yes the pics will show generous use of sealant, but I really wanted to keep moisture out and you’ll never see that area anyways. I also added some custom vents that will allow these to breathe while not letting water in. I have foam in them now but thinking of sealing gortex fabric or something like that.

The dremel was essential as there was quite s bit of cutting required, but ultimately got the projectors to seat in very tightly, and then used JB weld to permanently fix them in. For better or worse, they aren’t going anywhere.

Cost breakdown:
                          DEPO: $160 (eBay)
                          Projectors: $76 (sale - lightwerkz)
                          Ballasts: $44 (eBay)
                          Bulbs: $70 (sale - lightwerkz)
                          Harness: $30 (TRS)
                          Misc glue, sealant, etc....$20

Total - $400

I am super happy with the output. Very even light, very wide, and very sharp cutoff. I will try to get better pics and a video in the next day or two.

Past BMWs:
                          2002 M3 Convertible
                          2004 M3 Convertible
                          2003 X5 4.6is
                          2004 X5 4.4 Sport
                          2004 545i 6-speed
                          2001 330xi
                          1997 328is
                          1990 325is
                          1996 328i

Comment

Go through a carwash with the lights on to verify your water sealing/breathing job. Looks like a good retrofit to me, you preserved tons more of the headlight housing than I did with my FX-R. There was no way I could have used any of the back reflector cover like you did.

*edit*

Forgot to add, my Bi-LED retrofit is coming along, slowly but surely. Printed some trial fit parts. Originally I was going to make a back cover which threads on, but 3d printed threads aren't durable enough, so I'll use something more like the stock arangement for mounting the back cover. Little tabs and a rubber gasket.

Tape is to protect the lens while I dick around with it.

Attached Files
                            Last edited by earthwormjim; 03-19-2019, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Looks good! Is there more to the projectors or is that everything? What projectors are they?

Past BMWs:
                              2002 M3 Convertible
                              2004 M3 Convertible
                              2003 X5 4.6is
                              2004 X5 4.4 Sport
                              2004 545i 6-speed
                              2001 330xi
                              1997 328is
                              1990 325is
                              1996 328i

Comment

Yeah, they're sort of stripped down. They're Yike 2.0/PJX, they have a few other names. LED is removed, as is the power distribution board and the fan.

These are the lights, they sort of resemble the Koito OEM lights Toyota and a few other manufacturers use, although Koito does a much better job with limiting foreground.

I had to modify them a little to fit in the housings without having to trim the housings.

Pretty hard to beat the price, was $140ish with shipping. Hopefully the LEDs last the life of the car.
                                Last edited by earthwormjim; 03-19-2019, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X