What’s the take on the e28 nowadays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s the take on the e28 nowadays?

My dad had an ‘85 535i manual and I absolutely loved driving that car and its why a got myself an e30 when I graduated from college in ‘92. I haven’t driven one since but I keep my eye open for a decent stock example. They’re really rare around here.

Do they drive nice, like the e30 in the tactile/analog kind of way? Ive always assumed that they would be similar, just bigger and maybe faster.

Do they hold up as well? I’m just curious what the word is now, 30 years later.
    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

They're fun, but are much more of a cruiser type car than your everyday E30. Personally I don't think stock is the best way to enjoy an E28, as a worked over M30 is loads of fun and ROW bumpers/bodywork/lights/sport interior really clean up the car.

The steering in an E28 is slow and not exactly precise, but they do have the best door sill for driving windows down of any car I've driven.

They do rust readily, but otherwise are about as reliable as an early E30 if maintained in a similar way.

Comment

The first time I was in the market for an E30, I instead ended up buying a friend's E28 535i with some suspension and performance mods. It drove much better than I expected, and certainly better than my previous E34...Four years later I still have the car, along with an E30 325i I acquired more recently.

The E28 is very much an analog and rewarding driving experience like you'd expect. You definitely feel the added mass compared to an E30, but its still a relatively small and light car by modern standards (about the same size and weight of an E36 sedan). As mentioned it's more of a cruiser/highway car, but is also a capable chassis with the right suspension, despite not having rack & pinion steering. It took some effort, but was able to keep up with an E46 ZHP during some very spirited driving through western NC a couple years ago.

Although the torque of the bigger M30 is nice, I much prefer the sound and more rev happy nature of the M20. Both cars/engines are similar to work on, but I feel the E28 is a bit more archaic and quirky.

Comment

Do the M5 or alpina versions do anything about improving the steering?

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
          Other than changing suspension geometry, probably not. My Hartge H5S steered like any other E28, but the go fast bits really enhanced the experience, and a breathed on M30 with headers/B&B tri flo is all of the radio you'd need.

Comment

Ten years ago I also owned a '85 535i, 5 speed. It had like 230,000 miles, the suspension was worn out, was just beginning to rust, it kept draining the battery, and ultimately I think I blew the headgasket (or it was blown before I got it). But I loved that car. It still had the original paint and everything on it still worked. Even though the suspension was worn I can still remember how impressive the handling was and overall how solid and roomy it felt. I would really love to get another one, and almost have on a couple occasions, I just absolutely cannot stand the diving board bumpers on them. Plus any still in good condition are getting expensive and I'd honestly just rather get a e39 if I wanted a bigger sedan.
            My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post

Yes, the M5 has a different ratio steering box and a cooler.
              Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
              The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

They are a fun car to drive. Don’t expect a small, tossable car, like an e30.

The ‘83 533i is a neat and fun car, right out of the box, with the 13 pound flywheel, 8.8:1 engine and slightly aggressive camshaft. A 535i is plenty fun, too; nothing against those.

Really, it comes down to buying the nicest one you can find and afford. They certainly aren’t as cheap as they were, ten years ago, which goes without saying, for pretty much all old BMWs.
                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Drove one for a little while, not as fun as the e30, if you need a cruiser I'd pass on both the e28 and the e34 and go right to the e39. IMO the e39 is the second best car behind the e30 that BMW ever made. I've owned them in 528, 530, and 540 variants, sedans and tourings and they are absolutely fantastic cars. One day I'll have a garage queen e39 m5 to park alongside my s50e30.

In my view, the e28 and the e34 take the e30 and make it bigger while dumbing down the best traits of the e30. Just not as fun. Plus they rust to shit pretty quickly, especially the lower front fenders and the bottoms of the doors if you happen to be in the northeast it better not leave the garage in the winter months.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonder View Post
                    IMO the e39 is the second best car behind the e30 that BMW ever made. I've owned them in 528, 530, and 540 variants, sedans and tourings and they are absolutely fantastic cars.
                    Completely agree that E39 > E34 > E28.

My E39 530i was easily the best DD I've ever owned. I'm almost three months into ownership of my F10 535i M Sport. It's a phenomenal car packed full of amenities and technology, but it hasn't yet convinced me it's the overall better car.
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Thanks for all the info. It will be fun to scan for e39’s. There’s an older guy up in Greenville with a pristine e39M5. That thing is special.
                      My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                      I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                        Completely agree that E39 > E34 > E28.

My E39 530i was easily the best DD I've ever owned. I'm almost three months into ownership of my F10 535i M Sport. It's a phenomenal car packed full of amenities and technology, but it hasn't yet convinced me it's the overall better car.
                        I bought a pretty nice 2003 530i, sport package, 5-speed, last month...I absolutely love that car. Such a nice car, in just about every way.

Comment

The M5 and M Sport variants are better performers, but in terms of living with it as a daily, I think the 530i is the best E39 - period.
                          Originally posted by kronus
                          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                            The M5 and M Sport variants are better performers, but in terms of living with it as a daily, I think the 530i is the best E39 - period.
                            Totally agree, on all counts.

Comment

I would love an e28 for my weekly commute. But now ya'll got me thinking about an e34 or even e39. e39 is pushing it a bit for me as I want that sweet boxy look.

I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight.
                              90 Bronzit 325is
                              16 Black Sapphire 340i M Sport

Comment

Working...
                              X