CV boot intall- stretching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV boot intall- stretching

I'm almost done with my rebuild using the GKN Lobro rebuild kits.

The inner boots come pre-installed. The outer boots need to be stretched over the output shaft.

How the heck to you do it without the $200 installation stretcher tool??

Grease and some long pliers and preheat the boot. Otherwise borrow that tool somewhere.

Comment

You shouldn't have to stretch anything.

The diff side has a circlip under the lid you remove, then the whole cage/ball assembly comes off with the boot, leaving you with just the shaft.

Now you're able to slide the other boot off from the hub side.

For reinstall, just do the reverse, boot on the hub side, then cage/balls/boot/circlip/lid for the diff side.
      Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

With the tool it's almost trivial. Without the tool, it's basically impossible...

The outer boots come pre-installed, the inner boots can't be installed until the joint and the C-clip are assembled.

Once it's stretched it's somewhat easy to pull over the CV joint.

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
          You shouldn't have to stretch anything.

The diff side has a circlip under the lid you remove, then the whole cage/ball assembly comes off with the boot, leaving you with just the shaft.

Now you're able to slide the other boot off from the hub side.

For reinstall, just do the reverse, boot on the hub side, then cage/balls/boot/circlip/lid for the diff side.

+1. I've never done a e30 but this is how I've done every newer model BMW at work.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
          1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
          1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
          1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
          1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
          1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
          Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
          1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
          1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
            With the tool it's almost trivial. Without the tool, it's basically impossible...

The outer boots come pre-installed, the inner boots can't be installed until the joint and the C-clip are assembled.

Once it's stretched it's somewhat easy to pull over the CV joint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTyhPun99_o
            I think you're confused.

You should only be disassembling one end, the diff (inner) side. Once completey removed you will be left with the shaft, and at the bottom of the shaft, the outer boot. Undo it and slide it off and slide the new one on.

Also I think you're over estimating how much stretch you need, the boot doesn't get stretched all the way to the widest part of the joint.

For reference, showing just how little stretch you need:

You don't need any stretching tool. The boots are meant to be put on and off by hand without much struggle.

The stretching tool is only used by shops because its a quick and dirty way of replacing boots (allows for tech not to have to remove joint); when working by the book hours, any job you can do quicker is money in the pocket.
            Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Comment

Your picture is not an E30 half shaft. Trust me, there was only one place to stretch the boot to and it wasn't happening by hand.

The diff side was easy. Nothing required.

Comment

Here's the outer side. It's impossible to remove and repack the joint without removing the boot, and the boot is the last thing to go back on after it's re-assembled.

Maybe the old OEM boot goes on by hand, but that's a no-go with the rebuild kit.
                Attached Files

Comment

Your picture is not an E30 half shaft. Trust me, there was only one place to stretch the boot to and it wasn't happening by hand.

The diff side was easy. Nothing required.
                  The picture is of a GKN E30 axle.

I'm not going to keep going in circles. This is a job I've done dozens of times and have described it as simple as possible.

Do what you will.

Comment

Are there two different style axles???

Comment

Looks like the wrong boot for sure. Should just slip on, no stretch.

Comment

I use a combination of right angle picks and curved picks to get the boots to slide over the lip on the outer boot casing. It's a pain in the ass and its a dirty job. Part of the reason why I stopped doing axle rebuilds... I can't stand how messy this job is.
                        IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Are there two different style axles???
                          You take off one of the CV joints and slide BOTH boots on from that end. It sounds like you already took the inner CV off, but didn’t put both boots on at the same time.
                          2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                          2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                          1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                          1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                          - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                          1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                          1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                          Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                            You take off one of the CV joints and slide BOTH boots on from that end. It sounds like you already took the inner CV off, but didn’t put both boots on at the same time.
                            I wasn't just replacing boots, I cleaned and re-packed both sides. Otherwise, ya, you could just remove one side and replace both boots.

I wonder if the OEM boots were the same when they were new, and over the years they've just held the larger shape?

Comment

All this talk of 'stretching' and 'grease' and 'tools'...

I gotta go take a shower.

t
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X