M60 AC compressor frame mod... pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 AC compressor frame mod... pics?

For various reasons, I cannot test fit my M60 into my car before I do my repaint (I'm doing color change along with engine swap.) Does anyone have good photos or measurements on the modifications they made to allow clearance for the AC compressor on their M60 swaps? The MacAllent guide has one, but it's not super clear and I don't think shows the entire area affected.

Any pics or measurements are appreciated. Thanks.
    1985 325e -> M60 swap project
    1983 GTV6
    1974 X1/9

Originally posted by Italian_Tuneup View Post
    For various reasons, I cannot test fit my M60 into my car before I do my repaint (I'm doing color change along with engine swap.) Does anyone have good photos or measurements on the modifications they made to allow clearance for the AC compressor on their M60 swaps? The MacAllent guide has one, but it's not super clear and I don't think shows the entire area affected.

Any pics or measurements are appreciated. Thanks.
    I re-watched the Blockheads series on youtube with their M60 swap... I am doing the mishimoto radiator with retaining AC. Can anyone confirm if you must notch the frame to offset the radiator so the lower outlet will clear the AC compressor?

Again, I can't test fit right now..., otherwise I wouldn't have to ask :(

Thanks.
    1983 GTV6
    1974 X1/9

Comment

yes the compressor will hit the frame you will need to notch it

Comment

You should find a way to test fit the motor. My mounts actually let my compressor fit perfectly with light messaging and custom lines. My alternator side had a little messaging to fit also. I didn't have to cut up the frame for them to fit. But my mounts also came from a small batch of motor mounts made a long time ago. It would suck to cut up the bay and you were off an inch

Comment

Close now to being able to test fit. I went ahead and rebuilt both subframes, did my 5lug swap and did all the engine seals... so now I can test fit and get less dirty in the process. Saw a M62 swapped vert on Bring a Trailer right now... frame not modified and has AC. Can't tell what the mounts are. Hoping for minimal chopping
          1983 GTV6
          1974 X1/9

Comment

Close now to being able to test fit. I went ahead and rebuilt both subframes, did my 5lug swap and did all the engine seals... so now I can test fit and get less dirty in the process. Saw a M62 swapped vert on Bring a Trailer right now... frame not modified and has AC. Can't tell what the mounts are. Hoping for minimal chopping
            any updates?

Comment

Originally posted by CamboSlice View Post

any updates?
              I had some delays, took a two week trip to the Canadian Arctic amongst other things. I test fit, and found that the AC compressor will fit without modifying the frame rail. However, in my estimation, if you wanted to remove it, you would have to remove the engine. The clearance was about a quarter inch. I went ahead and cut back about 3/4 of an inch to allow more compressor clearance. In addition, the outlet for the Mishimoto Z3M radiator I am running aimed directly at the AC compressor pulley, and was about half an inch away from it. No way for a hose to clear that, so I had to remove even more of the boxed side frame so that I could shift the radiator to the right so the outlet could pass all the way clear of the pulley before making a 90 upturn. I removed about 2" of the frame to accomplish that, essentially even with the far side of the upright that supports the radiator. I had a friend who is a good welder come over and plate over my holes. I finished my skims to repair dents and it's time for primer! Got to get this done before it gets too cold. I was hoping to have painted in July. So much for that.
              1983 GTV6
              1974 X1/9

Comment

Pics? I'd like to keep A/C on my swap as well.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                  Pics? I'd like to keep A/C on my swap as well.
                  I will see what I can do. I'm a luddite and can never figure out how to post pictures on forums.
                  1983 GTV6
                  1974 X1/9

Comment

I will see what I can do. I'm a luddite and can never figure out how to post pictures on forums.
                    Yeah so I tried uploading pics, but they are too large. I'm too dumb to figure out how to change the image size. PM me and I will see if I can send them that way.
                    1983 GTV6
                    1974 X1/9

Comment

Working...
                    X