Constant 12v for radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constant 12v for radio

I parked my car for a couple months over the winter. Went to drive it a couple weeks ago and the radio would not work/turn on, nothing. I pulled the old receiver out, assuming it died.

My buddy graciously lent me his nice kenwood radio for the time being and I wired in the new connector. Radio still isn't powering on.

The connector is wired in correctly and I confirmed that I'm getting switched 12v, constant 12v and ground, at my solder joints and at the end of the connector. I bench tested the radio with a 12v power supply and it does work.

I disassembled the radio, so I could test the connector inputs at the board, when its all plugged in. Turns out, the constant 12v turns into 5.3v when I test it at connector on the board.

Has anyone ran into anything like this? Would a bad wire/connector drop the voltage like that? I know the radio gets power and ground connections from the c302 connector, should I check there first? I also read somewhere, that after the c302 connector, those wires run through the cluster, and a bad si board could affect the power going to the radio.

I guess I could simply find another constant 12v source and just wire that into the radio, but I would rather keep the factory wiring.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Originally posted by 2mAn
    The BMW V6 is the best

Failing fuse, bad wiring, or the bus bar under the fuse box coming loose can do that.

You have high resistance somewhere, that's why you see full voltage with no load on the connector, but as soon as you start drawing current, you see a big voltage drop.

You could try tracing the route the radio power wire goes through, and measure resistance until you can find the fault, if it turns out to be something more than just a fuse.

Use the electronic troubleshooting manual (ETM), it's the only way to make sense of the wiring.

The glovebox flashlight charging pins are always hot, so you could try temporarily using those to see if that circuit is OK to power the radio, or if your problem is further upstream and affecting multiple circuits.

Comment

I swapped the fuses out, so it must be in the wiring or distribution bars in the fuse box. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Originally posted by 2mAn
      The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Working...
      X